Info. on older model heresy speakers?

bobbyandduke

I picked up a pair of klipsch heresy speakers that someone had discarded with their trash. They are in very good shape and sound awesome...put my Bose 301s to shame. If anyone could help me out with a few questions such as the year they were manufactured, best setup procedure, type of system they work best with, and value of the speakers today and when they were new, it would certainly be appreciated. The serial numbers are 8428159 and 8428160, inspected by Sherry Stroud, type HWO, with 1980 Klipsch & Assoc., Inc. printed at the bottom of the sticker. I can't imagine anyone just throwing these things out, but I guess the old adage holds true..."one man's trash is another man's treasure." Thanks!

B&D,

Judging from the serial numbers you have 1984 model Heresys in Walnut oil.Look on e-bay for the price these are getting,usually from $350.00 to about $500.00 in excellent condition.If you want you can check the Orion blue book value at www.bluebook.com which also lists the MSRP when new.I leave the setup issue to the veterans here as I am new to the Klipsch ownership as I just purchased my first set of Cornwalls-wish I had found mine in the trash!

I have a pair of 1978 Heresy speakers. Mine are also HWO, which stands from Heresy-Walnut-Oil, so you've got what I *think* is the top of the line wood and finish combination.

I got mine off a guy who "upgraded" to infinity references back in 1990. I paid him $100 bucks for the pair, and they had been pampered. I let them languish with a poor amp and poor placement for years, and it was only recently that I started "opening them up" and discovered what a steal I had made.

Congratulations on a great find. Enjoy!

bobbyandduke:

Obviously the best placement in not with the trash...right place, right time huh? The speakers you have, like all Klipsch speakers, are horn loaded. Unlike the 301's you have, they do not "work best" by using wall reflections of the sound. Usually the best placement is to "toe" them in so that the horns face you in your listening position. The mid and high frequencies radiate in a 90 degree horizontal pattern, so this will keep the sound from reflecting off the walls which does all kinds of nasty stuff to it. Corner placement will make the bass louder if needed. Unlike most speakers out there, your Heresys are very efficient (96 dB @ 1 watt @ 1 meter), so they produce live-music sound with just a few watts. No monster amplifiers are needed to truly enjoy them. Both solid state and tube amplifiers/receivers will work fine (although tube amp users are an enthusiastic crowd, I'm sure they'll post their feelings). Experiment and welcome to our corner of the world!

B&D,

My first speakers (in college) were Hereseys and I remember them SO fondly that I just spent several days arranging the purchase of a new pair. I abused the heck out of my original pair, DJing fraternity and sorority parties (with a pair of Jensen bass speakers with metalic blue vinyl skin). Those speakers worked great and sounded great. I think you're gonna like them smile.gif

I'm going to have to move to a neighborhood with better trash...

Ross

Thanks very much for the information and input folks, as well as the warm welcome to your bulletin board. These speakers really do sound great, and I haven't even had the chance to give them a proper set-up yet. I hadn't planned on rearranging the den, but that's pretty much necessary now in order to get them toed-in to the corners so that I can sit back and really enjoy the Klipsch experience.