Which Used 5.1 Pre/Processor to buy?

BigBusa

I've asked before and got a few replies. But, I still haven't bought one. I'm looking for a used 5.1 pre/processor that can do 2 channel stereo as well as it does 5.1 HT. I'll probably get it from audiogon or ebay or someone here who's upgraded to 7.1

thanks

-DON

PS - so far I'm considering the B&K reference 20

Lexicon DC-1. Be sure it is at least a DD model but a DD/DTS model would be better. Also be sure it has either v3 or v4 software already in it.

As a benefit it is also a full 7.1 processor so if you decide to move in that direction it will have you covered very well.

Shawn

"From $400 to $700. Audiogon has a pro logic for cheap money. Can it be upgraded to DTS and how much do you think would that be?"

Yeah, there is a wide variance of prices on them. Wait for the right one. Don't waste your time with a Pro-Logic (or THX) only model. If the upgrades are still available (and they may no longer be) they aren't cost effective at all anymore considering the street price of used models. The DD/DTS upgrade would be like $1500 to $2000 if you could even still get it.

Street price of a fully loaded DD/DTS unit (which was $5000 originally) is only a few hundred more (if that) then a base model (Pro-Logic) which was originally $200.

I bought a DD model without manual or remote for $400 on ebay a few months back. The remote you can buy from Lexicon and the manuals are all available to be downloaded.

Shawn

Nope, the DC-1 I'm keeping for a second system.

Trust me, you are wasting your time looking into having a unit upgraded, it is seriously not worth the cost of the upgrade considering what how it would only cost slightly more (or nothing more) if you just buy a well priced loaded up unit.

You could buy a DC-2 or fully loaded MC-1 for less money then what a base DC-1 costs plus another $1500 to upgrade it to DD/DTS.

Shawn

"...I'll be on the lookout for a DC-1 DD or DTS."

If I see any good deals I'll let you know too. Also keep an eye on the software level of the unit.

Version 3 and later came with a new remote and some very nice UI improvements as well as better sound and processing.

You can read up more on the DC-1 at:

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Lexicon/index.html

and:

http://www.lexicon.com/products/overview.asp?ID=12

The manuals are available on the 'Downloads' link on that second link. Be sure to read the 'Theory and Design' booklet as it gives a lot of details and great information.

Shawn

V2 is OK but the mode selection is more difficult the bass managment choices are 80,100 and 120hz instead of 40,80 and 120hz of the v3+. Also the version of Logic7 in v2 is older and not as good as in v3+. Lastly if you were to buy a v4 unit that supports THX Surround EX and the early version of DTS ES though since you don't have a 7 speaker setup that doesn't matter as much. And with what Logic7 does anyway those aren't all that important on a Lexicon.

The upgrade to v4 if you had a DD model was $500 and would include DTS. If you had a DD/DTS model the v4 upgrade is $300. Again that is assuming the upgrades are still available, they may have been recently discontinued.

That is why it is better to just wait and get a fully loaded one when it pops up.

Shawn