Limiting Woofer Freq. Response How>?

DwK

I have two 12 inch woofers, that are currently on my Fishers..

I wanna take them off and make 2 Subwoofers.

But what do I need to limit the frequencies the Woofer will recieve?

I was thinking about 20-150 hz range.

I will probobly end up selling them next year for 40 bucks.. or if I like them, keeping them...

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Unfortunately, it is not as easy as removing the woofers and putting them in a box. You must have the woofer's T/S parameters so that the enclosure you build will ensure that they will perform properly. Some woofer's perform better sealed, others ported. You must also consider the X-max of the woofers to make sure they are capable of performing as a subwoofer as they will need to move considerable volumes of air to reproduce the low frequencies. You will also have to cross them over either actively or passively with a coil. In addition, their frequency response was more designed to perform as a woofer and not a subwoofer. You would be better off getting speakers that are designed to perform as subwoofers. Just my 2 cents.

------------------

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver (LF/RF) (LWE-I's w/Motion Feedback - Walnut)

Yamaha M-80 Auto Class A Amplifier (LF/RF) (Belle's - Oak Clear/Cane Grills)

DBX BX-2 2/3/4 Channel Power Amplifier (RR/ARR/LR/ALR) (Heresy II's (Walnut/Cane) & ESS Mini Monitors (Walnut))

DBX MPA-150 Mono Split Spectrum Amplifier © (KV-4 - Black)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer (2)

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

Nakamichi MB-10 Music Bank CD Changer

Technics SL-DL5 DDLinear Tracking Turntable

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

VC3 Deluxe Video Clarifier

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Crossover

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller (2) (1-LC) (1-RC)

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Sega Dreamcast w/3 Controllers & VMU's/S-Video Output

Bedroom

Yamaha RX-900U Receiver

Panasonic DVD-A120U DVD/CD Player

Sony SLV-740HF Hi-Fi VCR

BBE - ARS Audio Recovery System

A/D/S L300E Mini Speakers

GE 20" Television

I can handle the Box, thats not a problem.

I just need to know what I need to use to keep All but certain frequencies from reach the woofer.

The Woofers take All the frequencies right now, and play the real low ones to... I dont want it to play the higher ones.

As for making money, I think I could make 60-80 bucks off each of these at school.

I rescently (couple weeks ago) bought a Horn tweeter from Radio Shack.

It had something on it, a wire coming from one of the connectors, and in the middle of that wire was a Cylinder.... That thing limits what frequencies go to the speaker.

I just want something like that......

I wanna get to Radio Shack and see if they have anything I can use.

2 12" woofers would be great in the living room...

Because those Heresys.. just arnt giving me what I need in the Bass department.

The Fishers now days, with all origional speakers, are worth.. MABY 200 pair, but... mine dont have all the origional speakers (2 replaced mids, 1 replaced tweeter).

So more like 100$ maby..

Any web sites? anything you guys can direct me to?

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Radioshack sells those crossovers also the same cylinder things you were looking at and they could give you one to do what you want. (but belive me it's not that simple) But I do think that there are very affordable subwoofers out there that would satisfy your needs much better than trying to build one out of your fishers yet there is an old saying that half the fun is getting there, so why not. BUT you could sell them speakers to someone and be closer to getting an actual sub. Check the pawnshops ebay whatever it takes to get one because these were built to perform to the max, and trying to build one wellllll, different strokes for different folks i guess. Wasn't there a crossover in them speakers? My guess is there more than likely is, if it is a 2 or 3 way speaker there definently has to be (again not that this will really help anyway, but it is what you are talking aboutright?) you will have to get a different setup anyway but if there is a crossover in there it does limit freq responses as to whatever they are rated for, hope I helped a little but there are guys on here way more versed on this stuff than me, like boa there, you may not be able to drop the change for a huge vel like his, but that's why they make subs of all sizes, again different strokes, hope I helped a little.

THanks HTADDICT

I did find some Coils, that would limit the frequencies... at about 100hz or so.

That would cost me 20$ each, could probobly make..

How much Do you think I could make on the woofers?

What would you personaly pay for them? (would come with the Cabinate, 2 Midranges, 2 Tweeters)

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Wouldn't want to tell ya what I'd pay for them because I'm a bargain hunter to begin with, but usually what I do when I'm faced with trying to sell something is get an idea in my head of what I would LIKE to get for them, (remember you can get pioneer 3 way 12's for 200 brand new at sears) but that doesn't mean you can't get 150 out of yours or swap for something that would cost you 150 to buy. I personally would not buy them, but that doesn't mean there aren't some kids out there who are looking for something to buy or swap. (I'm saying 150 because I'm assuming you would want to get somewhat close to what it would cost you to buy a decent sub) And if ya get to know some local stereoshop guys, I'll bet ya could get a sweet deal on a sub. Look in the back of sound and vision there are a lot of companies out of new jersey, some pretty reputable. I've used a couple different companies out of there and had good results and saved a BUNDLE.