Yamaha receiver. Which one?

ptony619

I have decided to go with a Yamaha receiver. Which one would you suggest. Budget is $400.00. I only plan to use a 3.1 setup for a while(Synergy KSB 2.1's for mains,Synergy SC-1 for center, and an Adire Audio Rava sub). All are brand new. I currently have a Pioneer VSX-D711 receiver. It sounds good($200.00). Would a "better" receiver make a whole lot of difference in sound quality?

----------------

On 2/23/2004 12:04:43 AM ptony619 wrote:

I have decided to go with a Yamaha receiver. Which one would you suggest. Budget is $400.00. I only plan to use a 3.1 setup for a while(Synergy KSB 2.1's for mains,Synergy SC-1 for center, and an Adire Audio Rava sub). All are brand new. I currently have a Pioneer VSX-D711 receiver. It sounds good($200.00). Would a "better" receiver make a whole lot of difference in sound quality?

----------------

The HTR-5660 would do great with Synergies, and the first thing you'll discover is that it powers your setup effortlessly compared to the VSX-D711. It's a true 90WPC, all channels driven, and it's a discrete power (transistor, not IC, like yours) amplifier, which means it will be much cleaner. Furthermore, the DSP is far superior to that of the 711.

However, as many here will tell you, it may not do so great with your future Reference and/or Heritage upgrades. That said, it also has 6.1 pre-outs, so an outboard amplifier is an option when you are ready to make that move.