Center speaker placement

kktvbob

Sould be picking up my new Sony KF50WE610 on Tuesday. Since my old set was a sony crt I couldn't place a Heresy in the center to go with the Cornwall mains. I have a Academy on top of the tv now. The new Sony is LCD so I'm going to try a Hersey for the center. I will pull one from the rear I'm running 7.1 for the last month so I will drop to 6.1 for the test. I just up graded from a Denon AVP8000DTS 5.1 to a Denon AVR2803 7.1 it looks up front like a down grade but with my poweramps and using the 2803 as a preamp it sounds better. The top of the Sony is thin so speaker on top is harder but can be done with some building. So is anyone running a Heresy or custom cornwall on it's side under the tv and how does it sound. The best placement is the center of the tv but can't do that. I need to build a temp tv stand till I find out on center placement and if I'm going to build a custom cornwall for the center. Plus I need to look at a better side speaker like a RS7 it looks like a ok match for the Cornwalls or is their some thing better? Look what a few up grades do for you. But it's fun. Thanks for any help.

The key to DVD center happiness is a center that truly timbre-matches your right and left mains. There is a shift in timbre even when an exact duplicate of floor standing mains is horizontalized and raised above floor level. So, building a "match" into a TV stand works for the bottom end... but the challenge becomes the tweeter... which is the only speaker component that must be aimed with precision to achieve its potential excellence.

On that score, having a floor mounted center is more of a problem when you have more than one row of seating... the second row will likely lose much of the benefit of the shorter waves... (i.e., tweeter output and some high mid-range). The lower the wave, the more likely it wills just plow right through or around most obstacles. There is a joy to building your own custom sound niche that goes beyond most lifetime events.

And now, at 65, after a long bout with bachelorhood following a failed marriage... I have found my 38 year old heart's desire in among thirty new folks enjoying my Klipsch Legend Theater. It just doesn't get any better than a built-in Klipschorn WAF from the get go! =HornEd