"The Ring" v. "Ringu"

Jabez Scratch

First, I saw "The Ring" (American) and now I've just seen "Ringu" (the original Japanese version of this horror/paranormal movie). I thought that the Japanese version was more logical and, though neither version is plausible in any real-world sense, it seemed more firmly grounded in reality. The American version, not surprinsingly, had far more special effects and a glossier, cleaner look. However, it seemed more convoluted and non-sensical.

What is your opinion on the two versions?

Have not seen Ring-U. Don't need to see it. The first one still gives me the ebee jeebies. That movie is F'ed up right along with the original Exorcist. I'll be out in my shop/office/home theater at night and when I start turning out the lights to head into the house, I sometimes get a little hurry in my step after watching The Ring. For some reason that damn movie pops into my head. The imagry in that movie... Uhmmmm... yeah. Don't need to go there again.4.gif

----------------

On 2/24/2004 12:31:24 AM tankhokie wrote:

it was the way she moved...still kinda bothers me. that slow...waaayy too fast...then slow...

scary...if my tv ever turned on by itself when home alone..i may wet myself.
15.gif

----------------

Yeah I hear ya.... I wanna see the ending again, just once, where she comes out of the TV...... It's one of those things that's just wrong on so many levels, but at the same time the alure of it all.

Damn... Giving me the creeps just thinking about it.14.gif

----------------

On 2/27/2004 8:12:30 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 2/24/2004 12:31:24 AM tankhokie wrote:

it was the way she moved...still kinda bothers me. that slow...waaayy too fast...then slow...

scary...if my tv ever turned on by itself when home alone..i may wet myself.
15.gif

----------------

Yeah I hear ya.... I wanna see the ending again, just once, where she comes out of the TV...... It's one of those things that's just wrong on so many levels, but at the same time the alure of it all.

Damn... Giving me the creeps just thinking about it.
14.gif

----------------

Yeah, that aspect of the movie is very unsettling, i.e., the way the girl moves about and crawls from the tv screen. She does that too in the Japanese version, but you can sort of tell that it's just some kid crawling out of a tv set w/ its screen removed.

Although I prefer the Japanese version, the one thing that the American version does better is how it displays the contents of the videotape: all of the imagery flashing around and the workout that your subwoofer gets in pumping out that super low stream of bass is impressive.

I hear that the sequel to the US version is already in production -- anyone know anything more about this?

yep, the ring 2 is coming...

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808510182

looks like in november of this year. i like movies that disturb and bother me...don't know why, doesn't make me feel good about going out in the back yard at night to investigate a noise...i think it is the thrill of being disturbed.

the movie "signs" with mel gibson (specifically the...woo just got chillbumps...scene with the thing on the neighbors roof...ugh, more full body chillbumps...ok going to bed without looking out any windows now4.gif

creepy8.gif