First post; need advice already.

NoBudget

Been lurking for quite awhile and I just ordered an RC-7 to go along with my RF-5's and was wondering what I should do for electronics.

I currently have only a 4-channel amp running my home theater system. I use the bloody TV speakers as the center. I bet I will be able to tell the difference once the RC7 gets here!

The problem is I won't be able to even listen to the new speaker. I will go crazy because I have no power for the center. I spent most of my money on speakers, so I am looking for used 5 channel amps under $1000. That being said here are the models I have seen available in my price range:

Rotel 985

Parasound 1205

Adcom GFA 7400

Anyone have experience with any of this equipment? Trust me, any of these will be a huge step up in quality; I just don't have an opportunity to audition any of it where I live (Iowa). I am looking for something that will not be too bright when matched with the reference line but not to the point of sounding muddy.

If you know of better amps in my price range that are available, let me know.

Thanks for responding in advance.

Do you own an a/v receiver for switching of the sources? Or do you have a preamp with your amplifer to do the audio switching duties? You could do many things without spending a lot of money, for instance: buying a good quality a/v receiver to handle source switching and preamp duties, and use your existing 4 channel amp for the main and surround channels, and purchase a mono amplifier, or use one channel of a stereo amplifier for the center.

I am planning on either getting a Denon AVP-8000 pre/pro or if funds run short adding a Denon AVD-2000 processor to my existing Luxman TP-114 pre-amp. Not a die hard Denon fan, those are just what I found availble that I could afford.

Would like to stick with separates so a reciever is not necessary.

----------------

On 2/24/2004 12:18:34 AM NoBudget wrote:

I spent most of my money on speakers, so I am looking for used 5 channel amps under $1000. That being said here are the models I have seen available in my price range:

Rotel 985

Parasound 1205

Adcom GFA 7400

----------------

I have no complaints with the Rotel... as it offers clean and neutral (my opinion) amplification with a lot of power to spare given Klipsch's efficiency.

I don't think you'll hear a big difference between your choices, as amplification doesn't dominate the sonic signature as much speakers or rooms... and all three are quite respectable. Given that, you'd be hard pressed to discuss the differences without A/B unless you work for stereophool. I would recommend going the separates root... separate power supplies, and the ease of upgrading.

Wish that when I was on a tight "budget" I'd have Rotel, Adcom, and Parasound to choose from... 2.gif

Later...

Rob

----------------

On 2/24/2004 3:00:53 AM MrMcGoo wrote:

The Marantz MM9000 THX Ultra certified 5 channel amp is avaialble for $700 over the net. It has a good reputation for bang for the buck.

Bill

----------------

i'll second that!

i've had this amp hooked up to klf-30's and it ROCKS!!

avman.