Klipschorn size question...(will they fit?)

dave97

I am considering adding a set of Klipschorns to my HT, but I am concerned they may be too large to get through the door to my HT room.

I have reviewed the Khorn dimensions on Klipsch's website, which I presume are the perimeter dimensions. Based on those dimensions, I wouldn't be able to get them through the door (27" wide); the minimum dimension shown on the website is 28.5". Could someone send me the dimension from the center of the front face of the speaker to the corner in the back? I am wondering if it may be possible to get them through my door "sideways"..... I don't want any "major surprises" when they show up at my door and I find out I can't get them where they need to go! That would be the bummer of a lifetime.....

Thanks in advance,

Dave G.

I think the measurement you are asking for is around 28". But you should be able to get them through at an angle. You'd put one side through the door opening, then push it to the side, once it is inside the room, and you'll gain enough to give you the extra clearance.

And actually, since the tops come off, the bottom wouldn't even be 28" deep. So no problem at all, really.

If memory serves (and it is a fickle servant), that is the dimension from front panel to rear corner. I think you'll be fine if you remove the upper section, though. I squoze mine through a 29" door without taking them apart, but just barely. Someone who's at home will surely measure for you.

BTW, the top comes off with just a coupla wing nuts and wires.

They will fit, remove them from the boxes (if any), turn the bass bins on their sides, use two people, and move one end at a time through the door jam. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with this, even through a bedroom size door and around several corners, etc.

Haven't you ever seen a Klipschorn bass bin in person? They are tall and wide but fairly thin (19 inches) due to the triangular shape. However, they are quite bulky and heavy and will take 2 people to move safely.

You may need ample refreshments after moving them, during setting them up, and definately while listening to them.

Go for it and enjoy!

DM

I just pulled mine out from the corner, the bass bin is about 22" deep from the front of the front panel to the back side of the tail board. On mine only the top of the HF section goes all the way into the corner.

Like others said, take them apart, that the way they're meant to be moved. Take the side grilles off (4 wingnuts), four more wingnuts get the tops off after you un-do the wire that runs between the top and bottom sections (two screws with straight blade screwdriver.) They're really much easier to move once apart. They're heavy and awkward until you break them down.

Tom

Excellent....thanks for all the help...it sounds like it will be tight but they will fit. I have a few friends that will be more than happy to assist if I provide them adequate liquid refreshment after the move-in......LOL

Thanks again, its great to have a resource like this board, especially since its hard (if not impossible) to find a dealer around here (Chicago suburbs) that have Khorns in the showroom. If anyone here knows a dealer in this area with Khorns on the floor, please drop me a line, I need to pay them a visit!

I don't want any "major surprises" when they show up at my door and I find out I can't get them where they need to go! That would be the bummer of a lifetime.....

No es problema amigo !

Worst comes to worst Home Despots and Wally World usually have a decent selection of sabre saws on hand

9.gif

The advice above is correct. You will have no problem getting through that doorway but do get help. It is not only a matter of the sheer weight but also the difficulty of controlling what can be an awkward load.

The doorway into my home enters into a small entryway and I too thought I would have a problem but it was easier than I expected because I had a strong helper but it would have been one hello of a task for one person.

Dave,

I use a two wheeled hand truck and a heavy blanket to move mine. You will have to slide them through the door sideways but it is really no problem for one man.More beer for you!!!9.gif. As the others have said if they arrive assembled, take off the side grills to avoid damaging them if for no other reason. Then the tops come off with two wing nuts and two screws that hold the leads to the bass bin.

Enjoy!!!!!!!3.gif

Rick