How do I get more bass from the Sub??

Howdy. I just got the 4.1's, and of course, I get them before I knew about the 5.1's. Anywho, I can't seem to get much bass out of my sub. The satelites seem to pump out all the bass. I've tried d/ling the newest driver's for my sound card (SB Live! Platinum --> Before 5.1 came out) And the new drivers didn't help. I've tried fiddling with all the bass/treble controls in just about every program that I have and I still get very little bass out of my sub. The system sounds great, but I'd like the sub to do the lows and the satelites to do the highs like they're supposed to.

Can anyone help me??

Bass is nondirectional so it is hard to tell where it is coming from. You should be able to see the sub drivers moving with heavy bass and also feel the air from the port. Try a song with heavy bass.. like a woofer test or Nelly - Country Grammar. If you are hearing bass.. it is comin from the sub as the sats do not have the capability to create bass.

Try keeping EQ set to flat line, volumes around 80% in Creative Mixer, full vol for winamp, sub at the mark and just give it time to break in - it does take time. If nobody is home, you can leave you MP3s playing a moderate level of just listen normally like i did and you will eventually realize there is a difference. The bass on a new set is not real impressive bt it will improve if given time.

hope this helps.

That does help a little. It might be that I don't have any songs with true bass to them. I can tell alot of what seems to be bass coming from the sats. When I put my hands on the sub, I can feel it working, just not very much, and air is coming out. A few people I know who have a knowledge of how subs work said that my sub isn't performing how it's supposed to. Atleast not the way they have seen with subs in the past, but then again, they only understand car subs, which I don't think would be much different though. but thanks for the info! Smile.gif

Might be the combination of no bass songs and a new set. One thing to do is to play a song with some bass and turn the sub control to min, listen,, and then back up. You should hear the bass drop out and come back in filling the song which means teh sub is working. Car subs are a lot bigger and are made for tight spaces so there is a difference in some aspects .

Hey man, where do u have your sub located? I put mine under my desk, and at one point had it in the corner of the room. I'll just say that the promedia sub is no good when in open spaces. If you already have your sub in one of those locations (under desk/in corner), then i would just try breaking it in like everyone else said. My desk is next to a sliding closet door, and i find that when the door is closed, the bass is incredible,but once i open it, the sub isnt as loud, but responds to lower frequencies. ODD... Just experiment though. Good luck, and enjoy the speakers.

-dan

Well slowly but surely the system seems to be getting better. Now I'm not sure if that's because I'm getting used to the sound or if it's actually being broken in. Probably a little of both. Thanks for all the comments because I've tried many if not all of them and it seems to be getting better. I'm finally getting a DVD drive so that will be a test for my sub and speakers to make sure everything works properly. Thanks again. And I must say, I'm very pleased I bought these speakers. It's only too bad the 5.1's came out 2 wks after I got them. haha Oh well. Thanks all.

-Malakai_69