Forte vs. Forte II's - good match?

popbumper

All:

I am wondering if Forte II's would be closely timbre matched to original Forte's. I have a set of Forte's, and am in the market for putting together a surround sound system for an HT setup. At one time it was suggested I look into Heresy's for surround, but continued research and review of questions and answers here leave me uncertain about that choice. Are Forte II's a better/viable option? Thanks!

No they will not, Klipsch changed the midrange horn to a Tractix type in the Forte II. It would work if you put the Forte's in the front and Forte II's in the rear where it would not be as noticeable. For the absolute seamless timbre matching I would use the same speaker front, center and rear if possible. All original Forte's is the best way to go.

I'd stay away from the Heresy, not because it is a bad speaker (it isn't) but because of the timbre match. As Frz mentioned, the Forte has an exponential horn and the Forte II went with a Tractrix. I agree, it's best to stick with the same speakers, but my parents have their HT with Forte IIs up front and a pair of original Fortes in the surrounds. I think they two match up pretty well, but it's been a while since I've done any critical listening between the two. If you can find a good deal on the Forte II, go for it, but original Fortes seem to be a bit cheaper.