Receivers

glr

I currently have Adcom seperates, a GTP600 pre-amp w/DDG-1 digital processor, with 100w to the front for my KLF-30's, and 60w to the rear (Forte II's)on my surround system. I'm looking for recommendations on a receiver to replace the Adcom's. I would appreciate any thoughts.

I just recently replaced my Yamaha AX-700 amp and an Adcom GSP-560 Processor with a Marantz SR-8300. I absolutely love the Marantz. I wanted a complete A/V receiver and liked Marantz the best. I compared the Marantz to the following; NAD, Adcom, Rotel, and Yamaha. Just my opinion but the Marantz sounded the most natural.

1.gif

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, the Klipsch dealer here only carries Harmon Kardon and there is no way for me to compare various receivers with my speakers. What model Denon did you test? I have heard several good reports on the Denon 3803.

I still have a Marantz 2270 receiver I purchased new in 68.

Thanks for responding. Adcom has a new Pre-Amp Model 860II coming out next month. I'm going to take a look at it. However, since they have been sold I don't know if the quality is as good as in the past. I love my Adcom amps, but the digital processor is lacking.

glr,

Since you said you liked your Adcom amp and the main reason for the "upgrade" to a receiver is processing capabiltites, I would agree with Griffinator in a way, and suggest to look for a nice affordable pre/pro, like Outlaw preamp for example, Model 950, currently selling at $799, and perhaps a B-stock item can be had for even less. I had a cance to listen to it extensively, and it is a very impressive unit. Just a thought ...

Outlaw does one thing well - build high-power amplifiers. Not dissimilar to Sherbourn, a company I rep. Great high-output amps, but I'm not impressed by their pres.

The list on the Yamaha RX-V1400 is $899 - I'm sure it can be had for the same money as that Outlaw pre - and the DSP will be assuredly much better.