KSW-10 - Best Pwrd Sub for the $$?

drewzter

Continuing my mom's home theater...

want you guys' expert opinions:

Is the KSW-10 the best powered sub for under $250?

crazyeddie's price is 218 + shipping.

Will I do any better than that with any other brand?

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x5

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA connection to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

I've seen the KSW-12 advertised for around $300. I believe it's worth the upgrade. How big is the room you are intending on using it in, and will it be for HT or music?

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

quote:

Originally posted by t-man:

How big is the room you are intending on using it in, and will it be for HT or music?

Room is about 12' x 25' and system will be used for both.

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA connection to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

With that size, get the KSW12. You won't regret it.

My buddy has a pair of those 5-way speakers. I always thought they were interesting. I've never heard them cranked up. I would imagine they need alot of power, and probably an EQ. You say they sold for $300 / pr? That's cheap-cheap. I would be suspicious at that price on what kind of quality goes into them.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

crazyeddie has the KSW-12 for 290 + shipping...

should I just jump on that?

We'd still be under budget since I'm finding all these

great deals for her....

------------------

DirecTV

quote:

Originally posted by t-man:

My buddy has a pair of those 5-way speakers. I always thought they were interesting. I've never heard them cranked up. I would imagine they need alot of power, and probably an EQ. You say they sold for $300 / pr? That's cheap-cheap. I would be suspicious at that price on what kind of quality goes into them.

I say... go listen to them. I think you will be VERY impressed. They weren't made cheaply, no sir. For some reason, he just sold them at that awesome price...

and had the guts to guarantee them to sound as good or better than any $1000 pair in the world - or your money back.

The drivers are polypropylene, and like I said somewhere else, the 15" woofer goes down to 24hz (and, yes, you can definitely tell the difference between a speaker that only goes down to 30 and one that goes to the low 20's or below) so it's a subwoofer all in itself - they can be bi-amped, too.

As far as having to push them, sensitivity is in the 90's, so, no, I only had them on a really cheap Technics receiver in college - 70 w/ch or something like that and they shook the walls...

now, hooked to the RX-V990, they shake the neighborhood! And I don't have to turn it up much past 9:00 (6:00 is zero) to get the house to feel it.

Nothing was skimped on, if that's what you're thinking.

The 8" midrange is awesome, and even the relatively small ribbon tweeter...

They're great speakers, and for that price, unbeatable (except for now that klipsches and other brands are on eBay and other auction sites - and the fact that they're not magnetically shielded).

I've had 'em 11 years now, and they've taken many, many trips back and forth from my parents' house to college... still immaculate.

And, no, I don't have an EQ either, just the bass extension and bass/treble controls on the V990...

tell him to crank 'em for you sometime (that is, if his system CAN crank)...

don't expect them to sound like klipsches because they don't, but their sound is VERY full and rich, and I dare say fuller than the klf 30's (by themselves without a sub) because of the lower bass capabilities.

Mid and high, the klipsches win, hands down because of the horns and the brightness that's engineered into them...

but, like i said, i think you will be impressed by the dbx's in their own right...

they still blow away anything sold currently by Circuit City or Best Buy (infinity, cerwin-vega, jbl, etc)

------------------

DirecTV

This message has been edited by drewzter on 06-28-2001 at 11:29 AM