XO Network Phasing......

jorjen

I disassembled my set of '81 Cornwalls a few months back for a refurb. They contained the B network(B2T to be exact, I think). Anyway I seem to remember the tweeter or maybe the squawker AND tweeter being connected to the network out of phase with the woofer. I am also curious about my Heresys in this regard. Did I imagine this, or were they/are they supposed to be out of phase? I need to know because I have built a set of ALK E Type for the Herseys and B Type for the Cornwalls and want to make sure I connect the drivers to them properly.

The Heresys have been completed for some time but I could not remember how the drivers were wired to the networks on those when I got to that step, so I wired them all IN phase. But, even with an SS amp the Heresys seem to be lacking in the high frequencies. I thought phasing may be the issue and have not had time to experiment yet.

Thanks alot in adavnce for your input!

After a certain date all Heresies were wired, inside the crossover, to have the squawker and tweeter in opposite phase to the woofer. Testing showed they had smoother response that way.

I would not be surprised to find Cornwalls wired that way, too.

There is a Dope from Hope issue about it. The Type E crossover was that way.

Thanks John!

Yep, I remember when I removed the networks from the Corns that the squawker and tweeter were connected out of phase and thinking it was kind of weird. I guess I should do the same with the ALK's when I put the Corns back together.

Since I posted this earlier I had an opportunity to play with the ALK

"E" types in the Heresys a bit. I reversed the phase on the squawker and tweeter and the sound is now more open/less restricted, overall a smoother, livelier sound. Sounds like the fog has lifted!