PLEASE Help!

drewzter

I love being my own problem solver when it comes to setting up stereos/ home theaters, but I really need someone's help with this odd setup:

My mom's living room is going to be her home theater.

It is in an old house, built back when living rooms were built around fireplaces, i.e., the fireplace is exactly where the TV should go, and sticks out into the room about a foot or more...

so, she has the TV in the corner to the left of the fireplace (that's where it's gonna stay), pointing diagonally at the rest of the room...

the room is about 12 x 25, a perfect rectangle, but the long wall opposite the fireplace has a large cutout into the foyer (not a big long solid wall by any means), so here's my quandry:

Where should the surround speakers go, since the setup is diagonal instead of straight-on?

If you'd like a rough sketch of the room, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you for a better understanding.

Thanks!

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

send me a diagram. If diagonal setup, i suggest small speakers such as the quintets. easier to place, and the rears can be mounted on wall . You dont need an expensive receiver either. Go with a low end dd/dts denon or oknyo. Maybe even a yamaha. Older folks dont need the volumes we do, so small speakers and a low 65 / 5 watt receiver is just fine.

------------------

Yamaha 595a

SB-1's (pair)

SC .5 (center)

SS.5's (pair, rear channels)

Polk PSW350 subwoofer

Zenith 27" TV

Toshiba 3109 DVD player

Optimus HT Surge Protector

I'd be interested in seeing/reading the proposed solutions/suggestions for speaker locations. My folks have a similar situation, with the TV in a corner of a 12x12 room, facing diagonally into the room, with a couch flat against one of the opposite walls, and a chair against the other opposite wall.

Doug

I'll get you the drawing soon. I had it all drawn out on my PC at work, then I went to a meeting before saving it, and wouldn't you know it, the darn thing was totally hosed by the time I got back... so I lost it and will have to start from scratch...

anywho, the receiver, surround speakers and center channel speaker have already been purchased.

a friend of mine wanted to get rid of his sony de545, and that's all she needs for that room for what she's going to use it for. 100 x 5, and less than $250...

also got her a KSC-C1 for the center at a very good price at uBid.

surrounds will be her existing Polks from the late 80's. Very efficient, and they run at 4 ohms, so they're great. They have been her main speakers in another room used for just music until now...

going to get her some KG 3.5's from uBid tonight for her front mains.

Thanks again, and I should be able to get you a drawing tonight...

Oh yeah... wall mounting is not an option. This house was built in 1917 - plaster walls, hand-carved plaster dentil molding. Will have to use stands for the Polks.

So that throws another wrench into the mix...

She does have some paintings on the walls, but really doesn't want to mess them up with any more holes.

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

DirecTV

This message has been edited by drewzter on 06-28-2001 at 08:44 PM

drewster:

If the furniture is also diagonal, facing the TV...How about the left surround near where the back left corner would be if you had a long back wall instead of an opening into the foyer. The right surround near the corner to the right of the fireplace. Put both on stands raised about 5 feet in the air if possible...

PhilH

quote:

Originally posted by PhilH:

drewzter:

If the furniture is also diagonal, facing the TV...How about the left surround near where the back left corner would be if you had a long back wall instead of an opening into the foyer. The right surround near the corner to the right of the fireplace. Put both on stands raised about 5 feet in the air if possible...

PhilH

Thanks, Phil...

that raises the other problem... the furniture is

aligned square with the room.

I'll email you a picture, if that's ok with you.

------------------

DirecTV