Which is Better? Heresy I or Heresy II?

I'm in the market for some more stuff, and I want to get a pair of Heresys. Can anyone explain to me the differences between the original Heresy and the Heresy II? I haven't seen them yet, but my local K dealer has a pair of Heresy Ones that he says are in "pristine" condition. The asking price is $500!!! I'll have to go see them, but I see plenty of Heresys on ebay going for way less. Speaking of "weigh" less, the Heresy Ones are 55lbs, and the IIs are 37 lbs. Holey Moley, that's a big difference! If these H-Ones are really nice, could they be worth anywhere near five hundred clams?

I own a pair of Heresy I's that have had the crossovers rebuilt and now sound better than ever. I paid $325 for mine and they are not pristine. So $500 isn't a bad price if they are pristine. I've heard both I's & II's and prefer the I's over the II's. See if the dealer will let you take them home to audition them. Than you can see if they will meet your needs. You can also make sure that everything is working like they are supposed to. Like the tweeters, squawkers & woofers. What do you have to lose?

JLOUNDER

Have a pair of Heresy 1's in the living room...

Deffeniatly worth the 500 buckaroos to me.

As for the Difference.... no idea..

Maby the horns are made of "plastic" on the 2's and medal on the 1's.......... dont know.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Mr. Blorry, I have a pair of 1964 Klipsch Heresys and a 2000 Klipsch Heresy II. The 1964 ones have a sound in the midrange horn and tweeter which is so clear and brillant that it is rather hard to describe. The woofer used on this heresy has a rather high cut off meaning there's not much bass. I would say thats where the Heresy II is improved, but I would have to say that the Heresy II just can't compete with that 1964 Heresy's upper end. The Heresy II cabinet increased in depth over the 1964 one otherwise all dimensions are the same. Midrange and tweeter horns are totally different on both models. Dan

Slightly off-topic, but since I'm a Heresy I owner (1979 models)......

JLounder - Can you tell me who did your crossover rebuild and would you mind me asking the price? I'd also like to hear what you notice before & after.

Marty65 (or anyone else) - Regarding the high cutoff point of the Heresy I woofer, any ideas how to get the better bass response of the Heresy II's outta the Heresy I??

Tom Adams

I never heard Heresy 2's,but the bass player in one of my old bands(mid '70's) had Heresys and LaScalas. He would alternate them in his van off of a 4 watt per channel Pioneer SuperTuner and those babies howled!!

Actually,I wanted a set of Heresy 2's but the dealer said he couldn't get them so I bought RF-3's which were an excellent choice.

mdeneen, The Heresy II's Front board or motor board is made of 3/4" plywood, and the rest of the cabinet is made of 3/4" MDF. Also the Heresy II's horns are plastic where the 1964 Heresy has a sand cast midrange horn which is pretty heavy by itself.

Tom, I recall writing to PWK about changing the woofer on the 1964 Heresy and he replied by saying that the present day woofer would not work in the cabinet due to the smaller volume of the box on the 1964 Heresy.

Thanks guys for the help. Here's the scoop: Went over to my friendly K dealer, and saw the "pristine" walnut Heresys. They are gorgeous, and I hate using this cliche, but there wasn't a scratch on 'em--not even on the bottoms. My K guy said they are 1980 vintage, and they're bullet proof heavy! I think I got wood myself right at that moment (maybe that was a hernia, I don't know). While the K dude was fumbling with banana plugs and scurrying off to find wire strippers and screwdrivers, I stopped him (and per JLounder's suggestion) asked the sweaty geek if I could take them home and audition them there! "Sure" he said! "We'll just need the title to your house is all, or some other sufficient collateral!" to which I replied "Dude." "I have spent my life's fortunes at you establishment, and will prolly buy these things anyway--why don'tcha lemme listen to them over the weekend?" "Lemme check with the MANAGER" Long story short, they're here at the house, with only a $100 security! I think that's gonna be my down payment.

Here's the plan: I hope to add the Heresys as surround speakers for my KLF 30 fronts and C7 center. I don't just want surround speakers; I also want them to double as full-range speakers to compliment the 30s in a five-speaker stereo setup. In an earlier post, folks said they wouldn't be a good match, but the only alternative given was another pair of Legends! Can't do that! Not enough $$, and not enough space! I agree that is probably the best avenue, but for that kind of $$, I'd head toward La Scalaland or the Big K-Daddys. In fact, while salivating over these spectacular Heresys, I noticed that there was a pair of walnut K-Horns, and a matching Belle also just hangin' out in the used speaker department! They all matched in both wood color, grille cloth and condition! DAMN! Well, for the price of two pair of 30s, I could snap up that pair of used K-Horns, and I wouldn't hesitate one second doing just that! Since money is a primary concern here, the Heresys looked all the more appealing. It's a damn shame Klipsch never made a bookshelf Legend speaker.

No, they're nothing like the Legends, but they are perfect sized, beautiful, and they actually augment the Legends in areas where they're a bit deficient. Part of the weight difference between the Ones and The Twos is the metal horns in the Ones, versus the plastic models in the Twos. The cabinets are deliciously well made; far superior to ANY Reference, Synergy OR Legend I saw at the store. REAL wood is intoxicating, y'know?

The Heresy's midrange is incredible--I heard stuff bright and clear that had previously been somewhat muted in the 30s, plus the high bass from the wickedly tight 12" woofer adds another element that the vented twin 12" of the 30s can't provide. I have two more days to fully audition them, and I may change my mind--for true balance, nothing would beat another pair of 30s, but bookshelf size is essential in this tiny dwelling.

Your suspicions are correct Mr. Blorry! Six KLF-30's do indeed make a well balanced and enchanting HT system... particularly with inverted KLF-10's 47" above the floor for front effects in an "expansive" sound stage. If you enjoy your 30's, you would indeed enjoy hearing 7.1 with four more. In this acoustic setting, some of the deficiencies you noted tend to less of a problem with more Legends.

But, now, I would like to turn my attention to creating a grand old Klipsch music room downstairs. You mentioned "In fact, while salivating over these spectacular Heresys, I noticed that there was a pair of walnut K-Horns, and a matching Belle also just hangin' out in the used speaker department! They all matched in both wood color, grille cloth and condition!"... and I suddenly wished I still lived in NY or my son was still at Cornell for a drive-by ear shot. Could you send me the name, address, phone, email, price and/or what-ever from the store? I would like to check them out. It is not easy to find that kind of match at this end of the country.

May your dwelling space grow to your "K-ear" taste, dude. cwm38.gif HornEd

------------------

"Living With The Legends"

KLF C7 Center

KLF 30 L&R Mains

KLF 30 L&R Surrounds

KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

KLF 10 L&R Front Effects

Twin SVS CS-Ultra Megawatt Subs

KSW-15 Pwr Sub (rear)

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"