Opinons on AV reciever

SCOOTERDOG

Ok I have a friend that has won a contest where he can choose form 2 different AV recievers. The Pioneer VSXD912 or the Yamaha HTR5660. Since I don't know anything about the 2 I was wondering if any of you have had experience with these or the previous model these 2 would represent. He will be running a pair of Belle's, Heresy rears and some Klipsch center that I don't know the model of. From what I have read from some of you is the Yamaha can add a few db to the upper end making the horns sound brighter then they should.

Feedback appreciated

Scooter

Haven't heard the 912, but I'm very familier with previous pionner models (vsx-d508- vsx-d811s.) If the 912 is anything like the lower end pionners of the past, I would go with the yammy. The vsx-d811s sounded fine for home theater, except that the surround channels went bottoms-up a few days ago, but It never did klipsch justice for music. It always sounded thin and bright. I've listened to an rx-v1000-1300 with rf-3s and they sounded more open and refined than the pioneers. I have never listened to anything through an HTR-5660 but based on my experience with lower end pioneers, I'd bet on the yamaha.

hey scooterdog!

i went to both websites and looked at specs, etc.

they are both nice on paper,and assuming pioneer rates power output at 8 ohms/1kHz,the power output is w/in 5 w.p.c.of each receiver.

the pioneer has a really cool remote, and uses MCACC-which appears to be similar to yammy's YPAO which uses a mic.to setup the bass management/speaker size/location. the yammy doesn'have that.otoh-the yammy is 2 lbs.heavier,and i have had good results pairing yammy w/klipsch(i sell the yammy RXV-series, not this series.)

hope this helps.

avman.