Setup Issue Onkyo 501

speed3

Recently, I convinced my parents to start buildinga modest home theater system. They purchased an Onkyo TXSR 501 and a pair of speakers for the main 2 channels. I had an old center channel kicking around so I sent it up with my father last weekend for them to hook it up for movies.

They called me the other night and said that the center channel will not work and that only the l/r fronts produce sound. Apparently, after some trouble shooting over the phone, the receiver says "Not Available" when you try to select surround sound or any of the DSP's.

I went through the entire DVD player setup with them over the phone and verified that it is set up properly. The DVD player is connected to the receiver with a digital optical cable only.

Searching on the internet, I found a review article that discussed setup of the receiver. After reading this, I had them set the "speaker setup" on the receiver to 3.0, but it still does not work.

Does anyone who owns a 501 know what I am missing? Unfortunately I have only been able to work on it over the phone which makes it difficult, but I'm beginning to wonder if you need all 5 satellites and a sub connected for the receiver to decode surround. Anyone with ideas?

Actually, the 501 does have a different setup. I have the 700 which is setup the way your 601 is, but the 501 has a "simpler" approach. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the manual to read through it and was hoping a 501 owner could chime in. Thanks for the help though.

select the speaker ajust(just above cd button on receiver) and select speakers and use the pre set ( above audio ajust button on receiver) to select the amount/type of speakers.

also note the onkyo requires you to push the receiver button to ajust any audio through the remote. ( I have the 801 ) but a friend has the 501

I hope this helps5.gif

Love the onkyos but they are a pain to trouble shoot over the phone so i feel your pain, esp when you are trying to help out loved ones:

1. Make sure that they do not have the B speakers on.

2. Make sure that they have verified the inputs to be correct on the dvd input. The 501 has a "digital input" button on the front to make it easy to change/set.

3. Select a source other than the dvd menus to make sure dd and dts are picked up correctly.

4. Last but not least make sure you go into the dvd players internal menu (which you may have already done) and set the digital path to output multi chanel sound and not 2 channel PCM or something of that nature.

if none of this helps and they still have a problem post what you have done so far, I will have one in my hands for 10hrs tomorrow so i can work with you if you need it.

-Eric

Thank you all for the help. I did not have them check to see if they have the B channels selected, that's a good thought.

As for selecting amount/type of speakers on speaker adjust, I had them set the receiver to 3.0 since they are only running the 3 fronts. Might this have been a mistake?

As for setting up the DVD, I triple checked all of the menues over the phone since they have almost the same model as I do and everything on that end is set up properly (it wasn't at first). The input is also set up correctly and they can receive a stereo signal without problems with their optical digital connection.

I'm not sure what the subwoofer mode is set as but I'm also curious if this would affect the ability to receive a surround signal. When they try to decode a surround signal, it says "Not Available".

As far as the subwoofer mode, it has nothing to do with using the dsp modes. After playing with the 501 here at my store it seems that it will only let you access dsp modes when its passing a PCM signal (normal on cds and has to be accessed on the dvd player when playing a digitally encoded disc). Reguardless with what speakers setup mode you are using (2-5) as long as there is a digital coax/fiber optic connected i get the "not available " message when trying to use a dsp mode on a cd. However you can pass the Dolby Digital signal just fine with 3 speakers and a sub which would be the preferred listening mode on movies anyway.

Good luck with the reciever i think they are some of the best bangs for the buck on the market. Any other questions i will follow up with you later so feel free to let em fly.

-Eric