DVD players

Skidmarks

I did not browse through al posts , so forgive me if this topic is a repeat.

I am building a HT for the first time, and I am rather new to much of the technology I am up against. I have started with a set of RF7s and an RC7 for now , due to budget, I cannot purchase surrounds for a few months , but I am hoping my old Yamaha book shelf speakers will do till then for rears.

My main issue is a DVD player, I have no knowledge of them , and would need something that works well with the Samsung DLP.

If you could give me your opinions I would appreciate it.

Thanks

If your Samsung has a DVI interface, then you will definitely want to get a DVI equipped DVD player. There are a few options on the market now in different price ranges, and even more DVI or HDMI (which is DVI compatible) players are scheduled to be released soon. Many of those also feature DVD-A/SACD playback capability, so you might kill a few birds with one shot. Among the best currently available DVD players, I would suggest to look at either Denon DV5900 (has a DVI out, street prices are around $1600) or Pioneer Elite DV59AVi (has a HDMI out, can be purchased around $1000). On the budget side of the spectrum, you have Bravo D1 and i believe Momitsu V880 (I believe both are with DVI interfaces, and their price is around $200-250). However, these cheaper units have many reported bugs, some units seem to work ok out of the box, others have serious issues with their loaders etc. I would advise to go to the AVS forum which has a dedicated DVD player area. You should be able to learn a lot from many of the knowledgable guys there.

Some good advice from TauRus. I would also suggest go looking at avsforum, they have a good DVD player forum. If you can hold on for about a month or so Samsung has some very promising DVD players coming out (I don't recall the model numbers off hand): DVD-A, SACD, Progressive Scan, HDMI (not sure about that one), DVI (pretty sure), and upscaling DVDs to HD, all for MSRP of $350 10.gif. Another pretty good cheap choice right now is the Pioneer 563a, I think I might pick one up in the next couple of weeks. What kind of budget are you on?

The 931 is a good player. Not many problems at all. The only thing that bugged me about the player was the remote. It wasn't very good. But like has been stated if you can wait a month or two there will be just as good of players and better for the same pricing. DVD players are becoming like computor for now. They are getting outdated realy fast.

Searching a bit you'll find the Denon's are quite reputable and I've my eye on a 2900, can't spring for the nicer 5900 but the 2900 should do me very well.

My progression of players;

Sony 560 that died after 2 years, wouldn't recognize some dvds any longer

Sony NC685V which is a 5 disc player that also doubles as a SACD player as well, nice feature and the price is just below $250, works well, but I'm still saving up for that Denon!

G2

edited to add that I also have the Klipsch RF7 mains and RC7 center, went with SB1s for surrounds and recently up graded to SB2s, tried the RS3 II surrounds but liked the direct sound of the SB series more, plus no wall space to hang the RS speakers, so I'd say your current surrounds will do you well, but you may want to heat them up on the DB settings to get closer to the RF7s, use an SPL meter and you'll be surprised at what the settings may end up, I had to crank the surrounds up 5dbs.