SACD and DVD Audio - some questions

Darren

I finally hooked up my Denon 2900 for these connections (6 analog cables). I've calibrated the DVD player and bought 1 SACD (Oh Brother Where Are't Thou) and 1 DVD Audio (Alicia Keys) to test it. By the way, neither were high on my list but I couldn't find any more to my liking at Best Buy that day and really wanted to test it. Anyway, a few questions:

1 - The SACD is only playing 2 channel. I see now on the case that it's "SACD - Stereo". I thought all SACD's were multi-channel, not true? Or, do I have something set up wrong?

2- The DVD-A sounds incredible! Are the SACD's multi-track as good?

3 - Anyone test enough of both to have a preference?

4 - Where's a good place to shop for these? I'm having a hard time finding much selection so far.

Many thanks!

Darren,

Many older titles in SACD are stereo only. Telarc makes SACDs that are DSD multi-channel through the entire mastering process. They sound every bit as good as the best DVD-As.

Many disks in both formats are re-mastered for the new multi-channel formats. The re-mixes tend not to be as good as mixes that were originally intended for multi-channel. As always, there are exceptions like FleetwoodMac's Rumours and the Eagles' Hotel California.

Bill

I've owned both for some time now and I prefer dvd-a.I have given sacd every chance but most all my dvda sound great while a couple sacd sound good,imo.Try searching online or even ebay for more titles.

Darren-

IMHO, stating that DVD-A or SACD sounds "incredible" with a sample of 1 DVD/SACD leads one to often make incorrect assessments. With that type of sampling, you are comparing the ability of the sound engineer to properly mix a track, not the merrits of the format in question! *Off soap box*

The SACD format has the ability to have 3 data streams. The first, which is REQUIRED by the format standards, is the 2-channel high resolution stream. The second is the OPTIONAL multi-track High resolution stream. Finally for HYBRID disks, there is a purely CD layer coupled to the disk so you can play the disk in any CD player.

The DVD-Audio has the ability for 3 data streams, I THINK, not positive since I don't have DVD-A and don't plan on getting it any time soon! FIRST, there are two resolutions that the format MAY use, 24bit @ 96KHz OR 24bit @ 192KHz. The first data stream, which is REQUIRED, is a multi-channel high resolution mix. I'm not positive, but I think that multi-channel are only 24/96 mixes since there isn't enough room on the disks for the 24/192 mix. The second is the OPTIONAL high resolution stereo mix, either 24/96 OR 24/192 so READ the label carefully. Finally, I THINK that they MAY have a DD or DTS stream, but I'm not positive!!!

As for my personal preference, its not based on sound quality, but ease of use issues. First, I listen to classical music and I want most/all of the sound to originate from the from speakers, NOT surround. So depending on the aggressiveness of the surround mix, I want the ability to listen to 2-channel only or multi-channel. Secondly, I want to be able to navigate the disk without EVER using a monitor, setup of the player included!! Due to these reasons, DVD-A is not a option, IMO. I have about 15 or so (and increasing) SACDs and a Sony SCD-XA9000ES player. There is still considerable debate on IF people can hear a difference between CDs and SACDs, but I can hear a difference but they are often very subtle. It's most obvious with higher frequency instruments, such as trumpets, bells, and violins. The sound much more natural and much less compressed. One of my favorite pieces is Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, I have 3 different recordings of it, Ozawa on CD, some highly acclaimed performance on CD by DG, and SACD by

Runnicles and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus. My favorite of the batch is the Ozawa version, the DG mix is UNLISTENABLE due to a crummy mix (I think its clipping on many parts of the CD due to excessive gain during the mixing), the Runnicles sounds good but I simply prefer the Ozawa performance better! After this experience, I when I buy CDs/SACDs I'll first look for a top rated performance, FIRST, then look for the SACD version. I really can't wait until Mercury and RCA start remaking some of the OLD top notch performances on SACD (from the original tape masters, I THINK!)

Currently, the SACD format is tailored to the OLD AudioPhiles since its mostly classical and "old" rock music. DVD-A is a tailored to the HT crowd and slightly younger generation. But neither format has caught on to mainstream users. Only time will tell what will survive if at all.....

-Dave

----------------

On 3/9/2004 6:11:07 AM Darren wrote:

I finally hooked up my Denon 2900 for these connections (6 analog cables). I've calibrated the DVD player and bought 1 SACD (Oh Brother Where Are't Thou) and 1 DVD Audio (Alicia Keys) to test it. By the way, neither were high on my list but I couldn't find any more to my liking at Best Buy that day and really wanted to test it. Anyway, a few questions:

1 - The SACD is only playing 2 channel. I see now on the case that it's "SACD - Stereo". I thought all SACD's were multi-channel, not true? Or, do I have something set up wrong?

some are 2-channel, some have both 2-ch and 5.1ch.

2- The DVD-A sounds incredible! Are the SACD's multi-track as good?

i haven't heard DVD-A on my system, but 'on paper' TO ME,SACD is the superior format(NO PCM)

3 - Anyone test enough of both to have a preference?

4 - Where's a good place to shop for these? I'm having a hard time finding much selection so far.

Many thanks!

----------------

JMO FWIW

avman

I agree with DrPyro

I've had the Denon 2200, a universal player, since it was issued. It was my first personal experience with DVD-A and SACD. Ease of use definately goes to SACD. Pop it in and let it go. There's a button on the player that lets you decide whether you want the priority given to the multi-channel layer or the 2-channel layer.That's it. DVD-A requires you to navigate some screens that may or may not be well produced.

I can't say whether DVD-A or SACD sounds better but I can definately say that both formats provide some of the cleanest music you will hear compared to regular CDs. Even if you enjoy listening to just the two-channel version, which I prefer, both formats provide huge improvements.

I'm not a huge classical buff but my girlfriend and I have three copies of Bach's Goldberg Variations by Murray Perahia, two CDs we both owned before we met and an SACD that we recently bought. In both the CDs, the hiss behind the piano is obvious. and distracting. The SACD is clean as a bell.

That said, simple DSD gives you great sound as well. Bela Fleck's Tales From The Acoustic Planet is awesome in its CD format. I haven't heard the multi-channel version, although I've heard great things about it, but I'm just as happy to listen to the two-channel version if it's clean and doesn't have distracting noise in the background.

**** Sorry, I misspoke. I meant to say that the HDCD version of Bela Fleck's Acoustic Planet sounds great. I haven't heard the multi-channel version ****

----------------

On 3/9/2004 6:11:07 AM Darren wrote:

Many thanks!

----------------

I was browsing Tower Records online recently (http://www.towerrecords.com) and they seem to have a pretty good selection of both formats... over 400 titles each. From the main page, goto "Music", and then scroll down to the bottom of that page. On the left you will see an option to list by format.

Tony

Home Theater: Denon AVR-4800, Chorus II, KLF-C7, Def Tech BP2X, Def Tech PF15TL+, Sony DVP-S5500.

2-Channel: Carver 6250, Cornwalls (1976), Sony CDP-102.

Other Misc: Pioneer SX-3800.

After having my combo player for about six months I agree with some of the other posters. I find variation between titles in each format makes it impossible for me to have a favorite for audio quality. But I despise the menus on DVD-A's. IMO, Steely Dan's 'Everthing Must Go' is one of the most awkward. I hate turning on the TV when I am listening to music anyway.