KSW 12 Crossover settings with RB-5?

belial

ok now doug that's dif than 2 seperate pipes. cwm30.gif if u clamp down on the bass water at the tip of one Y-end that'll make that stopped up bass water come out the other Y-tip. no? arrrrr. where are the rocket scientists w/ the schematics??? cwm12.gif

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

if u clamp down on the bass water at the tip of one Y-end that'll make that stopped up bass water come out the other Y-tip. no? arrrrr. where are the rocket scientists w/ the schematics???

I guess I don't see that the water would go out the other y-tip because there is a filter in that other y-tip that won't let bass water through it. (It's a high-pass filter which only lets water above 100hz through it). I think I'm out of thoughts on this. The rocket scientists went home early for the 4th!! (LOL). Have a nice holiday.

Doug

doug, in case u haven't started shooting off the rockets yet cwm20.gif

i was working from the high pass filter at the speaker out terminals end since i thought that's where the fear of bass loss is. it of course is not the proverbial stone wall - it starts cutting bass to the mains at 100hz at only a miniscule 6db/octave. now if downstream u have the low pass crossover cutting highs from the subwoofer at a much steeper 12db/octave on up to -24db/octave at 120hz, then my thinking is that whatever highs it's cutting from the subwoofer is being fed downstream to the mains at the same rate.

iow, the low pass doesn't eliminate any signal, it

transfers it to the mains. say if u set it at 50hz then the mains are getting more bass signal at 100hz than they would be if u set the low pass at 70hz.

now put in the high pass filter (the Y end of the hose where I was referring to). it has the reverse effect of the low pass - it cuts bass from the mains starting

at 100hz whereas the lower u set the low pass the more bass it adds to the mains at 100hz. however the low pass is adding bass to the mains at a much faster rate than the low pass is taking it away from the mains.

so the two work together to provide a net db/octave bass gain to the mains. no bass is lost anywhere along the line because of the net effect of the two filters - the bass above the low pass setting that doesn't reach the sub is sent on to the mains.

just as an example say u set the low pass at 50hz & the sub is attenuated -6db@70hz and the mains are attenuated -3db@70hz. but the -6db from the sub is transfered to the mains so the net effect is +3db@70hz.

then u move the low pass to 70hz. no attenuation to the sub @ 70hz & the mains are still attenuated to -3db

at 70hz. so you get +6db@70hz from the sub but no transfer to the mains & the mains are still attenuated

at -3db@70hz. you're getting more 70hz output from the sub but less from the mains so it's just a trade-off. no real net loss of total bass output.

why they use a high pass i can only guess is for a smoother transitioning from sub to mains. i can't find

any explanation of the whole system just each part. did see one article that said that the high pass & low pass work together. i'm just piecing it together myself.

i can say that my velo also has a high pass on the speaker out terminals that's switchable between 80 or 100hz. it mentions that if u have larger mains use the 80hz. makes sense.

if i'm wrong & setting the low pass lower eliminates bass signal into thin air, then i guess that's another pro for using the sub-out line connections. i know i wouldn't want my velo 18 running full out to 100hz. cwm30.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-04-2001 at 02:12 AM

If you lose a little bass setting your crossover lower than its high pass filter, SO WHAT. the whole idea of setting the crossover lower is for a better blend between your sub and mains and OVERALL BETTER QUALITY BASS. you will never lose all of your bass at any frequency no matter where you set the low crossover.

and the high pass is such a flat slope you don't lose that much. it's just there for a smoother roll off below 100hz to make your mains sound better.

therefore the statement to never set your low crossover

below 100hz is wrong unless all you care about is BASS QUANTITY. If you want the best sounding QUALITY BASS, set the crossover where you get that BEll. For you probably between 60-80HZ.

------------------

go forth & hump the world