KSW 12 Crossover settings with RB-5?

belial

I must confess, I am something of a klutz when it comes to crossover settings for my subwoofer ... In other words, I have no idea what I'm doing. I just got the RB-5s and I love them to death, but not sure how to balance the bass, since I have them wired through the woofer ... Any advice greatly appreciated!

bel, at least for music, u shouldn't really hear the sub directly, or as apart from the rb. it should blend

in pretty seamlessly w/ them giving a better bass foundation.

put on a bassy music track w/ the crossover all the way

up to 120hz & move it down til it blends into where the sub isn't really distinct & directional from the rb.

general rule is about 15hz above the lower freq. limits of the rb, but there are a lot of variables involved. may have to also work w/ the ksw output control & phase

switch, but there're really no hard & fast rules.

just listening & experimenting like i have done & continue to do. cwm30.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

quote:

Originally posted by Pitricolo:

Hi Belial!

If you have the RB-5s wired through the ksw12 then you have to set the crossover at 100hz because that is the high pass crossover fixed fequency of ksw12.

Hope that helps you.
cwm9.gif

i disagree there pit. that's a high pass filter-opposite to the adjustable low pass. say if u set your sub crossover to 120hz, then it's high pass will immediately start filtering ALL bass at 100hz at a certain slope (-db/octave). that's just a common sense filter they put in most subs (some switchable between like 80 or 100hz) when connecting mains thru the sub since most mains should have a low end down to at most 100hz. but the rb-5 go much lower than that & could cause some bass cancellation (muddiness) when combined w/ the ksw output.

the bass in the gap between where u set the low crossover & that high pass filter at 100hz still goes to the mains at an increasing rate. if there's still any bass at 100hz then it filters from the sub to the mains at an even faster rate. so u shouldn't lose any bass at all between the sub & mains.

if u lost bass w/ a high pass in this set-up, no sub maker in their right mind would use it.

the high pass is just there so the sub doesn't get like 150hz or higher frequencies. hope that explains.

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-02-2001 at 04:16 PM

pic say u set the ksw low pass at 50hz. then it will start filtering off bass to the sub there and on to the

rb-5 at the given rate. whatever bass the ksw doesn't get the rb-5 do get. then at 100hz the high pass filter starts so you are then getting that bass cut-off at even faster rate (dual filtering, that is if there's any left from the 1st filter) from the ksw but again the rb-5 is still getting that bass.

so u don't lose any bass to the ksw & rb-5 overall combined. just the amount of it to either the ksw OR the rb-5. it's a trade-off.

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Whichever of you is right, I thank you both for your responses! I'm going to try different settings and see what sounds best. I did want to ask you, boa, when you wrote that a general rule of thumb was to set the crossover at "15hz above the lower freq. limits of the rb"--what would that number be?

Pitricolo--I'm going to try it at the number that you advised as well.

Thanks again guys.

bel, general is about 60-80hz. do it where it overall blends in & sounds best to you. could be at 50hz for u even. many variables.

& u should hear some dif in the ksw when u move your low pass crossover control. that because that works on the input signal. the fixed high pass works on the ksw

output signal. meant to mention that before pit.

>>>The low pass crossover control removes high bass from the sub on to the mains. The fixed high pass removes low bass from the mains & on to the ksw.

whew, that's why they have schematic diagrams. good luck finding one from klipsch though.

maybe the moderator could post that. cwm30.gif

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-02-2001 at 08:13 PM

my god bell this has really got u in a tizzy - you're posting to yourself Biggrin.gif

one lil comment about a high pass & it throws a wrench in the whole process cwm30.gif

u can't control the high pass on the ksw. it doesn't matter! u can only control the low pass - that's the knob that says crossover.

read the ksw manual, set the knob at 70hz, output to 6, listen to bassy music. should be pretty good there. if not adjust knobs slightly to taste. use the force.

cwm32.gif

Boa and Pit,

I am also very interested in how this works. The way I read the manual, I would agree with Pit's conclusion. However, Boa has a point that a manufacturer would have to be pretty stupid to make a crossover like that. I think we need help from BobG or PhilH here?!?!

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

sorry guys i had a big long example written but went to the ksw specs to check it's crossover slopes & lost it all cwm35.gif

the key is the crossover slopes of the low vs. high pass.

so say u set your low pass at 50hz so that at 100hz the bass to the sub is cut say -20db. at this point the bass to your mains has been going up at an increasing rate from 50hz. then this hits the high pass filter on the speaker outs & it starts filtering back the other direction at a pretty mellow 6db/octave.

there the bass to the mains is decreased and the bass to the sub amp is increased but at a lesser rate than the low pass doing the opposite.

so you're not losing any bass signal by setting the low

pass lower than 100hz to get more bass to your mains. just regulating the rate of flow. anybody have any good water pipe analogies

cwm30.gif

I think I'll have to throw in with t-man and pit on this. (Then again, it's a Drake family tradition to speculate and argue about things we have no first-hand knowledge of -- just ask my wife cwm2.gif.) As I read the manual, I see that the speaker level outputs have a fixed high-pass filter set at 100 hz. To me, this means that frequencies below 100hz are ALWAYS filtered out going to the main speakers, regardless of the low pass filter setting. So I would say that it is possible to set the low pass filter low enough that there would be a gap in the bass.

In the case of the RB-5s in question, I'd set the low pass filter on the sub at 120hz, as the RB-5s are going to be filtered below 100hz, and play with it from there.

Doug

ok i'll try a water analogy cwm35.gif

say u have a water pipe w/ two valves in line. the water before the 1st valve is the bass going to the sub amp/filter. u open one valve up a lil (50hz) to let more of the bass water flow down the line (to the rb). then u close the other valve down the line a lil (to 100hz). by doing this do u lose water (bass) or do u force more bass water back to the amp/woofer?

Continuing, then, with my speculation Smile.gif...

I don't think there is one water pipe involved here. I think there are two taps off a single main pipe (the speaker level input into the sub). One tap feeds the sub and the other tap feeds the speaker level outputs. The 100hz high pass filter is on the tap feeding the speaker level output, and it has a fixed opening that will never change. The other tap has the variable low pass valve on it. Opening or closing the variable valve on that tap will have no effect on the amount of water let through the fixed valve on the speaker level tap.

But I'm just guessing...Does anyone know a good plumber (BobG, Jim, Phil)?

Doug