Need a video card to drive my 52"RPTV

Steve Phillips

I've got an old 150 pentium I want to use with my 52"RCA.Any video cards out there that don't cost an arm and a leg.I just want to surf and listen to my K-Horns.No gaming or anything,just net.

cwm35.gif

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides 2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.

Dishnetwork Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Room size;15.5 X 25' opening into dining room.

Bed room HT:

KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

2 Heresy's for music.

Denon AVR-2800,Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

Steve-

Splain to me somethin'

You have a pentium 150 PC? And you want a video card to drive your TV? Is that what you're tryin' to tell us, man? You wanna be able to run the PC video signal over to the TV, or do you have what amounts to a big-*** computer monitor??

If you're talking about going S-video out of a video card into your RCA, it's gonna look like ca-ca. The only TVs out right now that have the resolution to handle computer signals are the HDTVs. I had a nice ATI All-in-Wonder Pro going from my 400 to my 32" JVC TV, and you can't read text! You would be hard pressed to read the text from the Forum, that's fer sure! Hooking a computer to a TV is just Gee-Whiz stuff. It's not a solution. I suggest getting a small monitor to hook up to the 150, and use it that way. Maybe put the rig on a rolling cart and hide it when you're not using it.

This message has been edited by Mr. Blorry on 06-30-2001 at 04:15 PM

well I know there are VGA to NTSC adapters out there,just wanted to know if they were worth messin with.guess not.I have the 15"mon.to go with it,just wanted to get a wireless keyboard and mouse and hide the PC.Would like to kick back with some good toons while surfin,K-Horns would do it.

Unfortunately, the science isn't quite there. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, and they're hard to use beyond about six feet or so, and the televisions don't have the resolution. The ATI All in Wonder is a combo video/TV card. It has a cable jack on it, and you can watch TV on yer computer, or you can send your computer signal to a TV via either S-video or RCA. It all works well, but the TV is way too fuzzy. Once we can all afford HDTV, then we're set. I'm lookin' forward to doin' the same thing, but for now, my PC sits in the room beside all my junk--way away from the sweet spot, but I can certainly hear it!

ha, tried the same thing on my 52.to qoute mr. blorry,ca-ca.saven my pennys for a toshiba hdtv.Smile.gif

------------------

tornado 1000, 300w ps

culs2-c bios 1003

p3700e cco @1050

pal6035, delta bl

256 mushkin pc133

radeon 32ddr

75 gxp 45gig

sony 48x,plextor 12/10/32

sbl value

opti v95

v2-400's (looks like the pro's outlasted another system :))

• 5 weeks later...

I don't really think that hdtv's would be a solution for displaying computer output. I think if you hook a video card to an hdtv, it will still look like ca-ca. The main reason is dot-pitch. Computer monitors will always look sharper than tv because of the dot-pitch. The dot-pitch in monitors range from 0.20-0.30mm. So far, the dot-pitchs I've seen for hdtv range from 0.70-0.80mm. That is a HUGE difference.

And plus, to get the higher resolutions on hdtv, wouldn't you need to use the component inputs? I don't think there's a video card out there that has component output.

• 1 month later...

Okay, for all those people with TV's that support 480i and 480p, this may be the video card for you. The ATI ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500DV has component output. Reading the specs for this card, it seems to me that you can get a nice picture on your TV for computer applications. Check it out: link

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

IBM 30 GB 7200 rpm ATA 100

Pioneer DVD-105 Slot-Load (16X/40X)

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be Sony G420S 19")

SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1 (soon to be Audigy Platinum eX)

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Denon AVR-2802)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats + center)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 (soon to be Sunfire Junior or Carver Knight Shadow)

Come on first of all a Pentium 150 equiped PC probably does not have an AGP port.So the Radeon 8500 or Matrox G450/550 will not even FIT!

Second these news video cards may not even work with the old archaic chipset on the baord.Remember how many problems there were with ALI chipsets?

And last give me a break,whi in their right mind would spend so much green on a video card when the PC is worth not even half as much.

I work with computers every day,and some "upgrades" make no sense.

And besides all the rear projection televisions have poor dot pitch,very very poor.Text be a mess,unless you want 640*480 rez!

And just for starters there is no 0.20 dot pitch tubes,some companies will claim 0.20mm its bogus.Read well the way they measure this!

The sharpest CRT monitors in the world are made by Sony and they have a true 0.22mm DOT PITCH.

I have the Sony F500R(0.22) and G500 (0.24) 21 inch monitors.The new F520 is the replacement of the F500R(still 0.22).

Just get a Duron 800 clone PC with...

AMD Duron 800 CPU

Asus A7E mobo

256MB PC-133 memory

Toshiba/Pioneer 16/40 DVD IDE

Seagate 40GB Barracuda IV(40GB per platter)

Panasonic or generic floppy

Antec KS-282 case with 300W Antec PSU

YOUR CHOICE OF VID CARD(now you can install what YOU WANT)

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or SB Live!5.1 (if you have to have a Creative)

56K PCI Modem or D-Link 10/100 ethernet card

Install WIN98 SE or WIN2000(recomended)

And voila you have a inexpensive and upgradable computer ready to take on games,work and multimedia.

Later you can replace the Duron with a beefy Athlon and add even more memory!Memory is dirt cheap!

TheEAR(s) Now theears