Klipschorn questions

phatbass

I have been doing a good amount of reading on horn speakers, and the klipschorns seem to be one of the best. I still have a few basic questions about them.

Are there any good years or bad years? If so which ones? Is there anything to check on when the speakers are used? Is there any differences in finishes(besides the look)?

Are the new heritage Klipschorns or other recreations from klipsch as good as they used to be?

thanks for any responses

I dont think theres really any consensus on good or bad years with Khorns as one might associate with car model/manufacturers for instance. The design is fundamentally correct and has been changed only in detail over the years. The very earliest ones being the most different from later production.

Not sure what u mean by Is there anything to check on when the speakers are used?

Interestingly enough, it seems Klipsch has adopted at least some of the mod ideas Khorn owners have implemented over the years. A good example is that many of us have used heavy layers of rope caulk packed around the mid horn to reduce any potential ringing of the metal horn. The newer Khorns use the K401 type horn made of composite fiber with large bands of ribbing around it to reinforce & damp the horn. I havent tried the new ones yet so I dont know if its an improvement.

But I will tell you that the room & its acoustics will likely have far more impact on the sound of a Khorn than any of the tweaks you can do to it, or regardless of the year it was made, or associated equipment/sources used with it.

Welcome to the Forum! 16.gif

Thanks for the reply and the welcome. What I meant by things to check on is like watch for a certain part or certain types of damage, things of that nature.

I agree 100% about room acoustics being one of the most important things in a room. Right now I have absorbtion pannels at all the first reflection points, people see my room and think I am crazy with the pannels suspended from the ceiling. I plan on adding some diffusion pannels in the summer. Unfortunately my current living situation will not allow for the pannel bass traps I would like to do, but that will change in a few years.

I read a post about a klipsch heritage dealer in chicago, why aren't they listed in the dealer locator? I live in Milwaukee, WI and really want to hear some of these, however it seems the dealer in chicago is the closest possible place to go. Is there any places closer to milwaukee where I would be able to listen?

Simply Stereo in Hoffman Estates at 1280 W Higgins Rd Rt72 (just west of where Golf Rd Rt58 & Higgins cross) is the new "Heritage" line Klipsch dealer. (847) 882-2885

I believe Quintessence Audio on Dempster in Morton Grove is also now a Klipsch dealer. I don't know if they have the Heritage line. I'm pretty sure they have Reference series though

Phatbass

I live in Milwaukee and have a pair of '83 Khorns if you want to get a listen. We also have a group of Milwaukee area forum members that get together every few months. A fun group of guys.

If you want a listen, drop me an email.

Also - FWIW Artto is a bass player too. I assume you are by your name.

JM