What should I get next

Thors1982

----------------

On 3/11/2004 1:21:18 AM Thors1982 wrote:

I think everyone would agree new DVD player :-) my cheap one just isn't cutting it anymore.

Then, I agree I need an amp, but I am waiting for at least a year for that.... I am broke hehe

I like Wheelmans suggestions.... DVDs are much cheaper than a new amp :-)

Also, where would 2 more speakers for 7.1 fall in all this mess??

Sorry... I didn't even notice my DVD player wasn't listed

I am currently using a

Mitsubishi DD-6040

Anyways thanks for the help everyone

----------------

[/blockqu Sounds like you got a pretty good system already really! Just think they come out with a new dvd every tuesday. What good is having that awesome system without any movies to watch. If your really jonesing to fix something mayby a cable somewhere. LIke a really nice sub cable one of the most important cables in my opinion. And getting a good line conditioner for it. Because your sub is the most dangerous component when it comes to lightning and storms and surges. I just read this looking up ground loop hum. Your sub if it gets whacked could damage your entire system not just the sub.

----------------

On 3/11/2004 3:03:30 PM 12345Michael54321 wrote:

It's worthwhile to have a standard against which to measure your audio system, and a standard with which to calibrate your ears. And when all is said and done, live music, played by living, breathing musicians, right in front of me, sounds more "authentic" than does recorded music played back on even the best audio system.

So my advice is to spend $50-1500 on a dozen tickets to live musical performances.

----------------

I like that answer. It makes sense. Taking in live performances will hone your senses and in return you will become more discerning when choosing the equipment you wish to use to recreate that type of audio and video quality at home. It seems to me that experiencing live performances can develop an appreciation not only for the artists but also for which products are available to best reproduce those sounds and sights. It is time and money well spent especially for the younger people on the forum who ask many questions of the old salts on these boards as to how they made their decisions when choosing their equipment. How? Well heres the BIG secret. They KNOW what it all supposed to look and sound like. He he he he. Simple, huh?

Its funny. People say theyll buy a new pair of shoes by trying them on and walking around the block once. The problem is that many people cant find the block, but buy the shoes anyway, take them home and end up complaining about their corns for as long as the soles last on those nasty Buster Brown dog killers. 9.gif

BBB... I am a bit confused. I like live music and concerts, in fact we put them on at my resort. But to do so, takes mega bucks for professional sound equipment... way more than any of my Klipsch theaters or Khorn based music systems. So, "live" music reaches our guests ears after it has been miked, run through a dozen devices into a sound board, amplified with 3400 watts for the main speaker array... while the four monitors are amplified with only 1,400 watts. The point is that the sound is more electronic than acoustic. The only thing acoustic is the grand piano in the dining room... and for something other than dinner music that gets miked too!

And Klipsch does provide a better "live" sound... in fact some of the groups who play here have been absolutely blown away when their albums are played on any Klipsch rig. Actually, the recordings are generally easier on these old ears... man, it's amazing how much noise a 5 person band can generate!

It is also interesting how many dancers prefer talented DJ's playing over our pro sound equipment. We have a Lexicon that modifies vocals over 200 ways, and a half dozen EQ's, and three flavors of mikes, etc. So whether it's real of recorded... it's pushed through wires to hit your ears. -HornED

I dont think youre confused Ed. In fact you bring up a valid point as far as live sound is concerned. I work with guys who have had their amplifiers and outboard equipment customized. It provides them with the sound they want. Thus what theyre doing is incorporating the electronics as part of their instrument once they power up. The same can be said for frontal systems no matter the size. The person behind the board can make you or break you during a live performance. On the other hand Ive heard people leave a concert saying that they were bored because the performance sounded exactly like the musicians recordings while a person next to them might say they dont buy the albums but they try and catch the same act every time its on tour. Go figure.

Well, I figure you all would laugh once I posted my DVD player :-)

glad you didn't :-)

Anyways, I dunno how good of muscians we get but I did go to see a couple Jazz players at my school. Its funny how some crappy new rock band can come to my school and sell $20 tickets, then a Jazz player can come and they are giving away tickets :-( Sad... but, I will have to go check out more life performances especially since I get to go to many free ones since I am still in school. I know its not the same but, I go to Rock concerts every summer, have to catch the Allman Brothers at least twice a year :-)

But, based on what everyone said I am sticking to what I have at least for another year :-) Thanks everyone maybe time for a new compuer hehe, and thanks for not laughing at my poor DVD player :-)

Thors1982 going on the wagon. That's good our little intervention worked. I was going to suggest buy yourself a case of brew and sit back and enjoy. And i understand if your on that wagon to. So forget about what i said if you are. And I just love live music that is why i choose Klipsch. Big difference in sounds from an auditorium to a stadium to a gymnasium or arena ext. Tom Petty last one i saw Darien Lake NY. Sixflags awesome. Nothing like being buzzed up and flipping Tom off and having him crack up. Now that is what i call a good summers day with some hot blonde bare footed chick on your lap you don't know from Adam. Just because you got good seats16.gif

----------------

On 3/11/2004 11:51:58 PM Thors1982 wrote:

Well, I figure you all would laugh once I posted my DVD player :-)

glad you didn't :-)

Anyways, I dunno how good of muscians we get but I did go to see a couple Jazz players at my school. Its funny how some crappy new rock band can come to my school and sell $20 tickets, then a Jazz player can come and they are giving away tickets :-( Sad... but, I will have to go check out more life performances especially since I get to go to many free ones since I am still in school. I know its not the same but, I go to Rock concerts every summer, have to catch the Allman Brothers at least twice a year :-)

But, based on what everyone said I am sticking to what I have at least for another year :-) Thanks everyone maybe time for a new compuer hehe, and thanks for not laughing at my poor DVD player :-)

----------------

I thought you were 20s/30s and working 14.gif

Definitely get some concerts ticket by the meantime...... I wish I could watch some @ broadway in the incoming spring break...... *staring at endless assignments.... sign

Well you have better dvd players that I do.............. what do I have??? A $30 Pioneer dvdrom 9.gif

I didn't read all the responses - have to get going. As far as the original question, I'd upgrade your DVD player and look seriously into a multi-format unit (DVD-A, SACD...). Power amp would make a difference as well, but I'd put that second on the list.