Car Audio and 4.1

hannan36

I recently got a new truck, complete w/ the standard in dash cd radio. First thing I do when I get a new vehicle is upgrade the sound system, of course.

Rather than install an in-dash unit with external amp, in-door speakers, and all that, I decided to try to install the 4.1 in the truck. I use a 4.1 in my garage w/ a cd walkman, and it sounds great, so I purchased another unit and installed it in the truck. It too, sounds great! Source comes from a sony cd walkman w/ line-out > Y splitter > green/purple plugs.

It's powered by a 1000 Watt DC/AC converter. Industrial strength velcro holds the front speakers which are mounted on the dash. Rear speakers are up high in the corners, "creatively" mounted (waiting for the wall bracket order to arrive).

Sub behing the center console.

I was surprised when I visited Klipsch's web site to see that someone else did this too.

Gotta love the price: $129 for the 4.1, $99 for the cd player, $79 for the inverter (ebay deal for a Prowatt), plus monster cable upgrade.

My only complaint is I could use more power. Output from the line-outs is pretty low.

Anyone else out there try this ?

/Ken

cool, did that with my 5.1's a few years back, used a 500 watt converter with a 2 to 6 channel spliter and a 20 gig mp3 player. If you have an extra outlet in your converter, consider an SWS if you can find one. I also had a problem with the lineout on my mp3 player, it was pretty weak, I think creativelabs has the most power, you might want to consider getting a jukebox or soemthing.

I burn wav files, sourced from flac or shn, of live music to cd/r. No problem w/ storage devices that cost about 25 cents each ;-) I don't mind carrying a stack of em in the truck...

I wonder if the 4.1 I have has a problem. Sometimes it sounds great, other times, there's a lack of bass and distortion...

/Ken

25 cents a CD? You can find them a lot cheaper than that! =P

Why not just encode you're stuff in 320kbs mp3 or aac? Even at home on my hometheater system, is it very hard to tell the difference between cd and the compressed file. I don't think you'd beable to really tell with all the external noises of the car engine, traffic, etc.

if the output of your walkman is too weak plug it in the line reserved for the walkman on the promedia s control pod,it will give a +6db gain to the output of your walkman.

but i think this input only feed 2 sats of the promedia.

the best is to try2.gif

I will never use MP3 technology for audio. My goal is to reproduce the sound as good as I can, and that excludes

using lower audio standards like mp3, which is just a way to reduce file sizes by removing stuff "you probably can't hear anyway". I exclusively use lossless technology (.shn,.flac > .wav > cdr).

Anyway, I removed the Sony D-NE710 and replaced it with an iRiver SlimX 400. The difference is huge! The system sounds so much better w/ the iRiver player, perhaps because of the variable line out level/increased output over the Sony. I can't find the output specs for the Sony, but the iRiver is about 57x, where x is mAw or something...

/Ken

... in the F150 Super Crew, the speaker setup is:

Inverter for AC power in center console.

Front satellites: 1 in each corner on dash, fasted w/ "industrial strength" velcro. They don't budge,

and are easily adjustable for direction.

Rear satellites: just above top of rear window mounted

using Klipsch wall mounts horizontally off center by about 2' (allows headroom for passengers).

Sub is in rear floor right behind the center console, port facing back.

Picked up a "headphone volume booster" which helps boost the line out of the walkman, but it's battery operated and low quality radio shack. Distorts easily.

Testing a Rockford Fosgate 'lectronic crossover which increases preamp signal a bit, and allows for more frequency control.

Overall, for general rock n roll (Radiators, Grateful Dead), jazz (Bela Fleck), etc, the sound is very good.

For harder rock, like Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, and the like, there's not nearly enough power. Too much distortion. My regular custom car stereo, with a 10 or 12" sub and cleaner power, sounded a lot better in this regard.

of course, yammv: your actual mileage may vary 10.gif

/Ken

hannan36, grab an mp3 player (i recommend ipod) when you get extra cash, it holds plenty of songs and wont skip no matter what. I dont know what kinda cd player you have, but all the ones i have used skiped in the car pretty bad. The line out on the iPods is also VERY strong, much better then any other mp3 player i have tested. In fact, its even stronger then my revo 7.1 analog out! You will need a 2 to 4 channel spliter however because ipod only has 2 channel out.

The speakers on the dash don't affect vision at all. It's a big dash. But my wife doesn't like em there - thinks they're a safety issue.

However, I'm considering moving them lower, just haven't gotten to it yet...

As for MP3, I copied a few mp3 tunes my son had to a disc and checked out the sound. It sounded really poor compared the original. But I don't know the parameters involved (how the mp3 files were created). What are the recommended settings if I'm converting an audio cd to mp3 ? I'd like to give mp3 another try...

I use an iRiver SlimX 400 portable cd player as the source for the 4.1. It's a nice unit, and sounds *much* better than the Sony D-NE710 I originally purchased and have since returned. The iRiver has a stronger output signal, and a lot more features.

/Ken