Happy St. Patrick's Day!

BBB

And a top of the mornin' to ye, BBB, and all the suddenly Irish Klipsch folk hereabout! 'Tis indeed St. Paddy's day... and a BBB "Welch Rarebit" is more in keeping with remembering Maewin of Wales day of death, March 17, 461. A Welch Rarebit was originally called a Welsh Rabbit... actually a hand cut piece of wheat bread with a generous amount of cheddar cheese which was heated until bubbly on a salamander (a metal tool that holds the food that is thrust into a very hot broiler).

It was called a rabbit in jest... for it was considered a substitute for meat when no meat was at hand. The corruption of the spelling to "Welch Rarebit" seems to have occurred when early colonists came to Massachusetts. It was in Boston that the first St. Patrick's Day celebration was held in 1737. Much of the folklore surrounding Patrick is as unsubstantiated as the "sudden Irish lineage" of the many that celebrate this day.

As for the reputed tale of St. Patrick, he was born in Wales, England, a pagan named Maewin. At 16 a band of Irish marauders took him captive and sold him into slavery in Ireland... where he spent six years, reportedly became close to God, and finally escaped to Gaul (modern day France)... where he studied in a monetary and became a priest. He longed to be sent as a bishop to "free" (i.e., make Catholic) the land where he had been enslaved. He was passed over at first, but then got the chance to become the Second Bishop of Ireland.

Although he lived nearly twice as long as an average man in those days, Bishop Patricks thirty years of monetary, church and school building was hampered by many imprisonments at the hand of the Druid Celtic majority. Each time he managed to escape only to emerge as the BBB Bunny of Forum Fame.

Having a commercial Salamander in my restaurant... along with a goodly quantity of fresh baked wheat bread and cheddar cheese, I think I shall offer Welch Rarebit and a pint of Harp at lunch in honor of BBB and his Bunny St. Patrick. For supper, of course, it's Corn Beef & Cabbage... and more Harp & Guinness. Ah it's a great day for the Irish... and those who would be Irish this celebratory day. -HornO'Ed (Hmm, where's that green happy face with the full of cheer red nose when I need it?)

Ah Maewin - how appropriate that we on the Klipsch forum honor one whose life (second life) mission was to convert the Pagans. Here's to the Church of the Horny and let today be the start of your individual two year mission to convert the Pagans (those that have a wayward idolization of direct radiating cones)...

Ah, and alas, Henry... it seems the audio equivalent of cubic zirconium and ritualistic conehead minimalism will be hard to dispel as this old Celt bangs away at building bigger and better horn environments. While it stands to reason that somehow audio alchemy should produce gold (honest audio) from sand (silicon wafers make tough sacraments)... the Joy of 6.1 Fully Loaded Horns is part of my everyday reality... NOW!

Just bringing the monopole "WORD" to a manufacturer manipulated bipolar audience seems to have branded me a heretic to some on this Forum... even though the "spirit" of my practice is rooted in the audio musings of its founder. Bringing half-century old technology to create vintage sound in a shaped acoustic environment is a joy closer at hand for far less money than most Klipsch fans realize.

Sure, my hero Q-man and I may seem a bit over-the-top in our fully-horn loaded quests... but the joy of 6.1 (or more) monopoles in an adequate subwoofer environment may be closer at hand than St. Patrick's Judgment Day. -HornEd

George Bush isn't smart enough to be a Domer, he'd never have been admitted, luckily for him Yale has "legacy" admissions.

I hate this thing where St. Patrick's Day is being turned into a general holiday, it's an Irish day and now it's being diluted. Now we have commercials for ignorant 20-something louts of the "Man Show" persausion touting the holiday. Disgusting.

St. Patrick brought the light of the True Faith and Christ's Holy and Apostolic Church to Ireland. Now his day, which should include some contemplation of God and the meaning of Catholocism to Ireland, is being turned by Godless capitalists into an occasion to pitch their wares to mindless, drunken boors who vomit in gutters. Well what else is new, this is America afterall.

On 3/17/2004 11:49:30 AM TBrennan wrote:

"George Bush isn't smart enough to be a Domer, he'd never have been admitted, luckily for him Yale has "legacy" admissions."

----------------------------------------------------

That was a genuinely ignorant statement to make considering what has gone down on the forum the past week. But then you love to bait people, dont you? You know your rhetoric wont change any opinions. You only make such asinine statements to irritate those who dont happen to agree with your single minded views. Usually when people have a weakness, they point fingers at others and accuse them of the same flaw. Its really too bad Tom. I think, in general, you have a lot to offer. But in this, and several other posts, you affirm exactly the kind of pompous butt you are. By the way, I suppose you believe that cronyism isnt applicable in the world of organized labor! Maybe you need to hop in that big, old farts, automobile you brag about and take a drive out of your little world of resentment and bitterness.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all.

"Old" a flaw? Nah. A pain in the rear - yea! I should know. Actually, I would probably enjoy a "ride" like you have. I just wouldn't boast about it.

Considering the current environment, your remark about the President was out of line.

Jeez. Ya comes here to spread the cheer and what happens?

Ya gets a noggin crackin shillelagh shellackin.

Ugh. I might need to drag the act back to Hoboken cause

dis rooms getting tougher and tougher to work every day.

Tom,

I haven't heard the term "Harps" for 30 odd years. What is the appropriate St. Patrick's Day Dish? I like corned beef, cabbage, boiled potatoes and some orange rabbit food. Of course, a beer or two to wash it down is always good.

Boomac---My mother is from Lurgan in Armagh, right down the road from Patrick's grave, came over here in 46. And she never cooked corned beef and cabbage. She says she didn't come to America to eat cabbage (my mother has a sharp wit and the will to use it, imagine that).

What she cooks is pretty much what the Irish would have eaten over there could they have afforded it---lots of steak, ham, roast beef, pork chops, lamb chops and plenty of potatos, corn, peas and green beans. I ate pretty good growing up. :-)

My father's mother, from Downpatrick in Down, used to cream all the vegetables she made; creamed corn, creamed peas, creamed beans---you name it. Evidently she couldn't get over the abundance of cream in The New World.