Aragon Stage One and 3005

JesseRJ

This is my first post on this forum. Does anyone here have experience with the Aragon Stage One preamp and/or the Aragon 3005 amp? I am a classical music lover and movies would be secondary. Apparently, most receivers and separates do one or the other quite well but not both. I can afford (both space and moneywise) to have only one HT setup so I really need great equipment. At present I have 802 B&W speakers and ten year old Krell amp and preamp. From what I have read so far, Aragon Stage One and the 3005 may fit my bill. Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

JesseRJ1.gif

All though BillH is right that there is an Aragon Section in the forum, I hate to say its usually very dead in there.

There are several users here that own the StageOne, although not many own the 3005. I have the ACT-3, which has been upgraded to the same DACs as the Stage One. I'm also a huge classical music fan, and 2-channel performance is very important to me. I upgraded from a Denon 3801 as a pre/pro to the ACT-3 upgraded, I was always unhappy with the classical music performance with the 3801, I was dull, lacked a good soundstage, and tonal balance was a bit off, IMHO. The ACT-3 changed all of that, its excellent for 2-channel, and very simple to use! It has analog bypass, if you have a good CDP/SACD. Once I upgraded, I didn't find a need for a good CDP, I was very happy with "only" the DVD transport. I recently upgraded the DVD to a CD/SACD player only (Sony SCD-XA9000ES), I was VERY concerned with the upgrade since I was that happy with the DACs on the ACT-3. But the XA9000ES is an exceptional player (better be for $2000), overall its a bit smoother on CDs, and the highs are not as fatiguing, plus the SACD performance is outstanding!

I really don't think you will be unhappy with the performance of the Stage One on Classical Music, but its really about system synergy. IF possible, see about taking home a demo unit for a bit.

-Dave

you may search Audiogon Forum as well, I believe there are some posts about the Aragon/B&W marriage...for some reason I think there is a mixed opinion on whether or not it is the greatest marriage, but that's just my very questionable memory at work....I drive B&W's with Krell, but would think the Aragon would do a nice job with them as well...which version of the 802's do you have?

I own the B&W 802 Nautilus and everyone tells me it needs a lot of watts but I have been using my old (10) years Krell preamp KSL-2 and Krell KST-100. The amp has 100 watts at 8 ohms and 200 watts at 4 ohms. The speakers sound great but what to do now to start up a home theatre.

Jesse

Hello again. My budget would cover the Aragon components but not Krell these days. I have read some negative comments on the Krell Showcase components (the least expensive Krells but still $8500). The Aragons are about $7,500 for the two components and so far, have heard nothing but praise for them.

Jesse

As always you need to do some a/b/c/d listening and let your ears tell you. BTW, I heard the 802's with Showcase and would agree it doesn't sound as good as the next levels up, but it wasn't bad by my ears, not familiar with any issues they're having....can you locate a dealer that will give you an in-home on either brand? That's the way to go.