DTS CDs--Can you play them on your computer?

toddvj

I have several DTS CDs, and am able to play them in my set-top DVD player. However, I recently got the ProMedia 5.1 Ultras (I love 'em, by the way) and wanted to play a DTS CD while I was online. I have the Creative Media Player, Power DVD, and Windows Media Player. None of these will play the CD. I also have the Creative Media DVD-Audio player, and it works great for DVD-A discs, but will also not play the dts disc. When I use the Windows or Creative Media Player, I just get static. I switched my sound card's settings to digital only output, but that didn't help. When I tried Power DVD, it said "This is not a DVD," which it isn't, it is technically a CD, just with dts audio. Has anyone tried this, and had any sucess, or is it impossible? Before anyone asks, I can play DVDs with dts, no problem. I am also posting this question on the ProMedia forum, because I think some of the guys in there might be a little more computer savvy, so pardon me for the duplicate post.

i've only got 1 dts audio cd, and that's portishead - live in NY.

i too had trouble finding a player that would handle the audio format. the only one that worked for me was the dvd-audio player that was bundled with my audigy 2 zs.

i will take a look to see what kind of codec you need to get that playing in regular apps.

I got Santana's Abraxas dts CD to work fine with my Creative Mediasource player that came with my Audigy 2ZS Platinum card. That is, once I put it in my Plextor 708-A DVD+/-R/ drive.

It's weird, some discs play in that drive that won't in the standard DVD-ROM drive that came with my Dell. They usually use Samsung brand DVD-ROMs. At least with both my last dell and this one. The Plextor drive is just an all around better piece of work IMHO.

I really don't think it is the drive(s). The CDs play, just that they only play static. (This is the same thing you would get if you put it in a standard CD player.) When I use Creative MediaCenter, It recognizes the CD, and I can get CDDB data on it, just cant make it work. As I said DVD Movies play fine with DTS. I think it is the player itself. On my other post someone suggested using WinDVD platinum, which I downloaded, and it recognized the CD as being a DTS CD, but said I did not have the proper (codec or whatever) and I would need to upgrade to Platinum. I just don't want to pay $70 for a DVD player when I already have a full featured (except for dts CDs) player. I might try downloading from a slightly less than legal source to see if it works, but otherwise, I'm not really THAT worried about it, I can play the CDs on my HT system and they sound great.