Comparison page of new Synergy Flagship vs old Reference middle line.

Pistol Pete

I initially demo'ed the rf-15, rf-25, and the like paradigm reference floor models. I actually liked the crisp sound of the rf-15 compared to the deeper rf-25 paired with the rw-12, the rw-12 provides all the bass I needed. The was no rf-35 for me to listen to, but both klipsch speakers were preffered to paradigm. Then I went to best buy and demo'ed the synergy series, and although it was not a side by side comparison, everything sounded like crap. It could have been the amp. Now I will say the sf-3 was the best in that line, but IMO even it didn't measure up to the new reference line. The smaller rf-15 to me sounded more dynamic, crisp, and pure. All the other synergy speakers save the sf-3 were vastly inferior IMO. Especially the centers and subs. I have never heard the rf-3II, so I can't comment there, but new synergy IMO, just doesn't measure up.

I'm not quite sure how you can make the comparison you did with the obvious caveats you already mentioned... Not side-by-side, in different stores, with different amps.

You can feel free to say the Synergy Series ('cept for the SF-3) sounds like "crap" or whatever, that's certainly your right... But as someone who owned the SF-2 for two years, I would have to strenuously disagree.

Its not that much of a stretch for me to discount change in venue and amp set up, for the difference was quite considerable, again IMHO. The quality of sound in the rf line so surpassed that of the synergy line that it more than disqualified the varible in amps and location. I have a good ear for music and a pretty good memory, if the variance in sound was close, I would agree that it is not a fair accessment, however, again just my opinion, there was such a separation that I feel it cancelled out amp and local. This decision wasn't based on one audition either, I listened to both several times, and each time I heard the synergy line, I was very thankful that I spent more money on the refernce line. It is worth the money! That is not to say that synergy is not a great line of speakers, I thought they were better than the bose, jbl, and the rest that best buy had to offer.

I also apologise for stepping on your synergy toes. I didn't mean that synergy speakers sound like crap, only in comparison to reference, I feel there is a night and day difference. The synergy line of speakers compared to others select speakers sound great. I hope that clears things a bit.