Very dumb question

zachvas

There is no power switch, only an a very efficent idle switch (On the control pod). To to turn it off would require unhooked the power plug which is hooked up of course ot the amp on the back of the subwoofer. (In which you'll hear a faint high pitched power down sound coming from the amp). But its better on the amp to keep it in idle mode, then constant on/off.

----------------

On 3/21/2004 1:45:35 PM InnovaZero wrote:

But its better on the amp to keep it in idle mode, then constant on/off.

----------------

The guys at my service center where my Amp is suggested that I power off the set instead of keeping it idle. His logic is that even though it is in idle mode, there is current going into the amp and the heat inside would build up over time and not be able to escape. Causing heat damage to the components. Not sure if it is true, but I tried it and it was OK for a couple of months. Then a few days after I forgot to power off and now my amp is in the shop, 8.gif

----------------

On 3/21/2004 2:10:55 PM Roboto wrote:

----------------

On 3/21/2004 1:45:35 PM InnovaZero wrote:

But its better on the amp to keep it in idle mode, then constant on/off.

----------------

The guys at my service center where my Amp is suggested that I power off the set instead of keeping it idle. His logic is that even though it is in idle mode, there is current going into the amp and the heat inside would build up over time and not be able to escape. Causing heat damage to the components. Not sure if it is true, but I tried it and it was OK for a couple of months. Then a few days after I forgot to power off and now my amp is in the shop,
8.gif

----------------

The Promedia 4.1s were made to be left on. Unless you are going to be away for at least a week or there's a thunderstorm, don't unplug the system. Constantly heating and cooling the component does more wear and tear than constant heat because materials, especially metal, expands and contract between temperatures.

His logic is flawed anyhoo...a constant heat source say at 75 degrees...will not "build" up if at a constant tempature in thee enclosure. That is unless influenced by another source.

GooseChaser is right anyhoo, constant heat/cold temps are some of the most wear and tear for electronics.