Number of Tweeking Questions

garymd

I've spent a good part of today playing around with my downstairs setup so everything is ready for the Blueberry to pop in.

1) I replaced the speaker wire from the MkIIIs to the altecs with some standard 12 gauge wire. Problem: The terminals on the back of the altecs have such a small opening that I could only get the tips of the wire to fit. Seems to be good enough for now but I'd like a more permanent solution.

2) The altecs have a high frequency attenuation control on the back. Problem: It crackles when turning but is fine once it is set. I don't exactly know where to clean the control. The knob won't come off and when I unscrew the entire unit, I can't access the back of the knob. I know a few of you like Klipschfoot have or have had a pair of similiar models. Any ideas?

The other thing I did was angle the speakers up in front just a couple inches. Seems to help quite a bit. Right now I'm using my kenwood as a pre and it sounds much better than you would expect. My woofers were supposed to be ready last week but I wasn't around much so hopefully I'll get them this week. The Realistics which are in there now also sound much better than you would expect. Also, I got some Rat Shack tuner cleaner which did the job on my technics. No more speed issues. Thanks for the help with that one guys.

With 2-channel down, I figured you needed someone with some stupid questions to help out. Thanks in advance.

you might also try turning the pot lots and lots and then a little more for good measure. they're usually built to be self cleaning, so the more you turn it, the smoother it'll get. give it a good hundred turns and see if it gets any better.

Mark,

Yes, it's exactly as you described but I'm not quite that ambitious. I did turn it back and forth about 50 times and it's much better now (thanks Dr.). I'm going to pick up some of those plugs that Piranha recommended. I've seen them in BB but never knew what they were for until now.

All's good. Just waiting for some juice!3.gif