On-Screen setup question for Denon 1804

om13934

The receiver has a few options. First it gives me the option to set any of my speakers to large or small. Now, I understand what each of these options means as far as crossover goes, but then it also gives me the option to have lfe (norm) or lfe + main. I understand that lfe norm sends all the low frequencies to the sub, and having it on + main sends them to the sub and to the front towers, but what is the difference between choosing lfe + main and just setting left and right fronts to large. I thought that "large" meant that it was a full range speaker and thus receives th lows also. Enlighten me if you will...thanks.1.gif

Man i know what your talking about i just had my denon hooked up not to long ago i just can't figure it out. Does yours cut the mains of when you don't ad th +sub? It almost sounded like mine did when i did that. I am not sure i have my denon packed away right now or i would get into it. This is bothering me now.

You are confusing Bass with LFE.

LFE is a seperate channel. Usually the LFE information goes to the subwoofer, and the front channel information goes to the Fronts.

If you set the speakers to small, you are sending the BASS (not LFE) information from the front channels to the sub. If you follow what I am saying, the Sub is already receiving the LFE channel, you are now sending it something extra.

If you set your receiver to LFE + Main, it is kind of the opposite. You are sending the Bass from the front channels to the Front Speakers, but you are also sending the front speakers the LFE information. Make Sense?

Toddvj is correct... I have a Denon AVR-4800 and I went to look it up in the manual. The explanation given for "LFE + Main" isn't crystal clear, but basically it says that in this mode, "you will be sending the same bass frequencies to both the front left, front right, AND the subwoofer simultaneously."

If you look at the definition for "LFE - THX" it says, "that bass from the large front left and front right speakers goes ONLY to the front left and front right speakers." and that, "Bass going to the subwoofer comes from the LFE signal and any speakers which you have designated as 'small'."

So based on the "LFE - THX" definition, when you are using "LFE + Main", your front "large" speakers are also reproducing the LFE signal.

Tony

So what you're saying is that I can safely set my fronts to large and they won't be receiving the really low frequencies as long as my sub is connected and subwoofer set to "yes" in the setup menu of my receiver? The sub will get the lfe signal and my rf15's will take over above that, so it's almost like another crossover setting from sub to mains. Then the rest of my system picks up on anything above the actual crossover I set. (80hz) Am I getting this correctly? Or is it still better to have my mains set to small? Thanks for all the help, just trying to figure this out.

Not exactly. Some of the Front R&L channel information can be well below 80hz. So if you set your speakers to Large, you may be taking a small risk. In other words, no, it is not like another crossover setting. You can potentially get Bass all the way down to 20Hz to all of your 5 main channels, and still have the seperate LFE channel for the Sub. As I said, it is somewhat of a small risk, as you will rarely have sustained Low Frequencies to the main channels. Check out some DVD reviews on widescreenreview.com, they regularly rate whether a soundtrack has Low (sub 50Hz) to the main channels. Your safest bet would be to set the speakers at Small, but do what sounds best to you. I would definitely not set your receiver to Main + LFE though if you are using RF15s. Hope this helps/makes sense.