Hd viewing and 5.1 sound....Sopranos

TIbor

Hi

Been enjoying my new Ht setup. I think my speakers are breaking in. I did another noise level check with the dve disc and I needed to readjust a few of the speakers. But my question is I have been watching the sopranos and the new show after that called deadwood(seems good). The fronts and center and sub seem to sound good. But I very rarely if at all hear anything out of the rears. The format registers as dd ex and shows 3/2/1. But I never hear anything out of the rears(dvd seem fine) Anyone expierence this?

Thanks

IF your surrounds are located behind you, you will hardly ever hear surround effects except for the ocasional fly by. If their on the sides you will get more out of them. If you do have them on the sides well then their probally wasn't much mixed in them particular shows. I noticed some receivers actually seem to have more surround information than others. I don't know this for a fact but it just seems that way to me.

Yeah you shouldn't have any problems their. Almost like my setup except for different speakers. Where you got your center like that on the wall i have my two surrounds on each side of the couch. Nice hiding the wires. Make sure you went through your test tones and have them balanced properlly. You defentitly don't want your surrounds louder than your mains. You should have the same volume but if anything lower would be better than louder. Have you seen punch drunk love with Adam Sandler it's a comic drama with great surround sound? I wasn't expecting such a neat soundtrack to it. Anyhow i think their just wasn't much surround in them shows i don't remember hearing to much. OF course the way i have mine when you do hear suround it's more like it just makes the room fuller with sound.

I will have check out that Adam Sandler movie, I am sure the wife will like it. I am not real thrilled with the placement of the center speaker as it is literally on top of my head. And probably would sound alot better if the couch was up like another 2 feet, but no can do! Hope the drywall anchors hold that shelf on the sheetrock! I will put up another pic of the front side..You cant tell from the pic but the center speaker is titled down quite a bit, the other side of the room is for a airhockey table or something along those lines. Still tweaking and running those tones through the spl, and such trying to get it just right. I will reduce the pic size too I forgot too before..Damn that 5 megapixel canon2.gif

post-13414-13819253563144_thumb.jpg

Yeah, you don't get much out of the surrounds on Sopranos. I noticed that even when I bought the DVDs of the show. Still, sound quality is good, and picture quality is usually excellent.

That receiver looks cool. I didn't know you could get silver finish.

----------------

On 3/22/2004 10:29:06 PM TIbor wrote:

I will have check out that Adam Sandler movie, I am sure the wife will like it. I am not real thrilled with the placement of the center speaker as it is literally on top of my head. And probably would sound alot better if the couch was up like another 2 feet, but no can do! Hope the drywall anchors hold that shelf on the sheetrock! I will put up another pic of the front side..You cant tell from the pic but the center speaker is titled down quite a bit, the other side of the room is for a airhockey table or something along those lines. Still tweaking and running those tones through the spl, and such trying to get it just right. I will reduce the pic size too I forgot too before..Damn that 5 megapixel canon
2.gif

----------------

That movie is different than anything Adam's done. It's a dark comic drama. You will see, I liked it.

The surround was just amazing i thought for that type of movie it rivaled scifi stuff. Yeah it took a couple of days to download that picture with diaup.1.gif

Tod's right. There's nothing really too much going on in the surrounds with that show so don't sweat it. In fact, in my opinion, I think the 5.1 mix is a bit on the weak side. Not too much Bada Bing, Bada Boom happpening on my system.9.gif