Upgrading my speakers?

phansson

I have a Klipsch KSP matched 7.1 system. I am having a case of the "upgrades" right now and would hope to get some info from this forum. I have all ways been pleased with the sound of my KSP's. The detail, timbre matching and separation of my system is really good. I use my setup 90% Home theater and 10% music. I have noticed lately that the sound is a little flat especially on audio. I think that I would like to go to standard fronts (rf-7's) and a separate sub instead of an all in one unit (ksp). How do the RF series compare to the KSP series?

The KSP system or Synergy "Premiere" line is a fantastic combination of speakers I don't think that moving over to the Reference line will be a huge improvement I have heard both systems but not side by side. Judging by the other quality components in your system I would suggest you move up to the Heritage line of speakers then you will certainly hear an improvement. Best thing to do is go to an area Klipsch dealer that carries the Reference line and let your ears be the judge. Bring some music that you are very familiar with listening to on your KSP system and have them demo it for you on an RF-7, RC-7, RSW-15, RS-7 based system for comparison. I personally do not care for the WDST type surrounds and I would upgrade those to RC-7's or RF-5's. Unfortunately, there is no many place to demo a full blown Heritage HT unless someone on the forum lives near to you and is willing to demo it for you. Good luck with whatever you choose to do and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the quick responses. The two subs are part of the problem. I get muddy bass. I have tried a lot of things and keep coming up with the same problem. The placement of the speakers HAS to be where they are (which are close to a fireplace and corners) this gives a little boost to the low frequencies. I have thought about just adding a sub but that would kind of defeat the reason to have the KSP fronts. Therefore the reason I was looking at the smaller reference series and adding a seperate sub.

I have tried unhooking one sub and it helps a bit. Then I feel like I am not getting enough bass.

As I have been sitting here contemplating my situation today I would also like to add that I feel the soundstage is lacking. You can tell where the sound is coming from. I would like the soundstage to sound larger.