My new bookshelves (potential RB-75 killers???)

Underhanded Penguin

Roughly 2900 USD including tax is what I got it for. Not cheap I know, but to me well worth it. Keep in mind I'm not knocking Klipsch at all as I use a reference setup for ht. It's just that for music, and within my small bedroom environment, I liked these more than any Klipsch, B&W 705's, 805's, Martin Logan Clarity's, and even I dare say it: Special 25s. The special 25s are a different monster altogether. Extended as a bi@tch and more upfront. S25s are an amazing speaker though. My eletronics wouldn't do it justice anyways. For me the dynaudio sound that won me over was it's openness, HUGE soundstage and frequency esepcially for the size, it's got micro and macro dynamics comparable to Klipsch, and the clincher is the highs are so non fatiguing. Female vocals seem to extend on forever without hitting your ears with sibilance. Music seems to just wash over you. These do not sound like a box speaker at all. In fact, very fast and eletrostatic sounding.

Vital, to each his own and I will not discredit your assessment of the s3.4. But may I suggest that the placement, amount of breakin time and source may have affected the dynaudios sound more unfavourably than the b&ws and klipsch. The s3.4 in my mind is a pretty amazing speaker. Mind you, the RF7's are a great speaker as well. I myself went through some very exhaustive listnening tests at the dealer a/b ing between many brands using Arcam source components (which I have). To tell you the truth, I started out wanting to get the 705s or 805s. I asked to listen to those first, then I went to Audience 52 Special Editions (which I bought, then returned later) and upgraded to some Duntech Black Pearl Special Edition bookshelves, then exchanged for the contour s1.4. And now I am done.

Along the way I listened to within my budget: RF7s (good but not transparent and airy enough for me and didn't like the size, also a bit too forward and bright on the highs), b&w 705 (a bit on the bright side), b&w 805(good but fussy with amp and didn't sound as good on the arcam, plus I decided I just dont like the b and w sound), Dynaudio Special 25s (pretty damn amazing, but a tiny bit too upfront for my tastes, and sightly out of my budget), martin logan claritys (too fussy with amp and placement, huge difference in sound between standing and sitting)

-UP

6.gif

I love those things! But you should have gotten a pair of C4's 1.gif

Someday, maybe using Khorns or La Scala's, or something else, I want to build a 2-channel nirvana. Someplace where I can close the door, sit in the Lazy-Boy in the sweet spot, and float away.

What model amp and CD player?

Oh, and for having $3,000 speakers, getchoself some 409 and a rag and clean that danm door behind the left speaker!!! 3.gif

I will do some more auditioning with the Dynaudio soon. When I had a chance to demo them a few weeks ago they were being powered by Rotel and the sound was good, just not awesome and that must have been do to the setup which seemed to be focused on HT and kind of half *** IMO. The guy kept having problems with the left speaker going out.

I cant believe the sound I heard was accurate when so many informed people on this forum swear by them. Maybe the place is trying to push people towards B&W? The little Dynaudio room was nowhere even close to the HT rooms setup for the B&W speakers, plus the B&Ws were ran by McIntosh. They had two fully decked out HT rooms for the 800 series and the top of the line series B&W.

Anyway not trying to dog your speakers at all. Just from what I heard with Rotel gear I couldnt justify the price difference between them and the RB-75s. I was offered a pair of new RB-75s for $800 and some change at my local dealer. We are talking about almost a $2,000 difference. Man, I could buy three RF-7s for that price. Whoa, that is pretty serious. Of course everyone has different wants and needs. I understand some people simply dont have that kind of room or dont want that kind of decor in their home. Anyway, congrats on the new speakers, wish I had that much to spend right now.

I need a center, surrounds and a sub. On the sub issue I am torn between waiting for my house to build a killer IB sub in the attic, completing this Tempest or just buying a SVS until I can really work on a great DIY IB. So much to do and so little cash and time. I still need to upgrade my RF-7s, get a tube preamp and amp for two channel, and figure out what to do about powering my HT with either separates or a nice receiver my HK 325 was a great beginner piece but not enough power for what I want and need once I am done. Anyone filthy rich want to donate to the Vital HT Fund? Only kidding, I have come a long way in one year and all because of this forum. It will come together piece by piece.

3.gif

No problem at all Vital. An opinion is an opinion. Audio is very subjective. It's why there are so many different kinds of speakers and equipment out there. If you do listen to Dynes again, try to a/b them with other speakers and compare the accuracy, quickness, and depth of the bass as well as how the high frequencies are handled even at higher volumes. Those are the areas where I feel the Dynaudio really shines above other speakers I have auditioned.

I will do that. I need to find another dealer by me, the one right down the street has the Dyna setup in an HT room and Rotel is the only option. Kind of stupid IMO. The only way to really know what you like better is to have a room setup for 2 channel with multiple brands and sizes and multiple powering options. For all the money these people put into this massive HT/Audio store they really dropped the ball IMO. This store in question caters to the ultra rich people of River Oaks in Houston so I guess they make their money on complete HT rooms because they make zero effort for two channel or speaker buyers period for that matter.

Edit: What do you power your Dynas with? I saw on their site they recommend at least 80 watts for mid size rooms. At 86db do you have trouble really jamming out or do you have serious wattage pumping them?

Vital, I'm powering them with an Arcam A80 inetgrated. But I heard it with even the A65 first and it had no problems powering them even at high volumes. Generally speaking I guess the more power the better. But I also auditioned with a bunch of 100 to 200 watt Rotels and didn not like the sound at all. The A80 was a lot smoother and easier to listen to. I can belt it when I need to and it delivers. The new Dynaudio Contours are a lot less power dependant than the older ones. I'm using them for a small bedroom system. If you have a larger room, I'm sure you would benefit from more power.

You should of checked out legacy. Before you rolled out all that green. Their built way better. I remember hearing Dyns years ago they were great. I kept looking at this big speaker seeing if it was on and it was these little speakers doing it all. I couldn't believe it.

Thanks wheelman. But no point in making recommendations after the fact. I'm quite stubborn with my dynes anyways. There is nothing I would change about the sound of my contours s1.4. Call me ignorant. If you've never heard a properly set up s1.4, then you shouldn't go around telling people to get something else anyways. I assume you've never heard the s1.4 before because the sound it puts out is huge for its size.

Sorry I got a bit defensive! As you could understand after spending a few grand on a system only to have someone tell you you should have got something else instead. lol. Yeah I checked out Legacy's website. I'd be curious to hear them but unfortunately no resellers in Toronto. But I still highly highly doubt it that I would like them better than my s1.4. And even if they were better, my brain would fool me into thinking it wasn't just to justify the cost. Damn brain.