My Scalas with SM120A: picture

Shock-Late

Guys,

I think it's quite well established that changing out the squawker horn is the thing to do. The big problem seem to be that every horn that is an improvement is no longer made and has to be gotten off eBay! Does anybody know of a horn in current production that would serve this purpose? A Tractrix would be the obvious choice, but who makes one? All the horns you see new are constant directivity "frying pans" that are only good for PA use!

Al K.

JMON, here is the pict. 2.gif

Q-Man, the mids integrate better (in my case) with the bass when the horn sits a few inches backwards. The "lips" are so big anyways than the LS bass bin doesn't stand in the way of the sound.

Mounting the tweeter under the midrange horn would make it sit way too low for confortable listening... Now my ears are just at the eight of the midrange-to-mid transition (don't know if it makes sense in english, it's rather difficult to explain things for a french speaking guy like me 9.gif )

post-5056-13819253684164_thumb.jpg

Jmon---The horns on top are early, perhaps first generation, EV CD horns. Those horns have a reputation as excellent sounding horns. I never heard them in a hi-fi setting but several people I know think highly of them.

The bottoms appear to be Altec "210 Splits". An Altec double-15 210 basshorn is split down the middle and the bass-reflex part removed. What is left are 2 straight basshorns, each with a single 515 driver.