C7 too beefy for RF3s?

jephdood

All,

I was planning on using a pair of RF3's up front with an RC-3II at center (rears not purchased yet). I'm going to be using the setup for 100% HT, and I've heard what a great center the C7 is. I want to have the best for theater and I know that the center is the most important piece in that puzzle. I'm not UNHAPPY with the RC-3II, but it's moving from the family room where it handled a small screen for movies and TV to more of a dedicated (15 x 15) HT room with projector and I'm wondering if it will be able to give enough for a rather large screen.

Ultimately, the question is.. if I were to swap the RC-3II with a C7, would the C7 overpower the RF3s? What would be more important in my situation.. timbre and voice matching? Or just a nice big center I can be proud of. :) Or, maybe a switch to something else might not even be necessary?

i think it would work great....

the KLF-C7 is a much bigger speaker than the RC-3....physically, much closer in size to the RF-3....

i used that exact same set-up for about a month... it worked great .... i was very pleased with the sound..... i would have kept the setup, but i found a pair of KLF-30's at a pawn shop for $600..... the RF-3's were sold to a co-worker....

1.gif

----------------

On 3/29/2004 2:22:47 PM minn_male42 wrote:

the KLF-C7 is a much bigger speaker than the RC-3....physically, much closer in size to the RF-3....

1.gif

----------------

Ahh.... I was thinking he was talking about the RC7...

----------------

On 3/29/2004 2:25:59 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 3/29/2004 2:22:47 PM minn_male42 wrote:

1.gif

----------------

Ahh.... I was thinking he was talking about the RC7...

----------------

mmmmm...you might be right..... as rosanna rosannadanna would say...

"nevermind" 4.gif

I started witht the RC-7 as an upgrade to my existing system (other speakers weren't Klipsch - and are now gone). For movies, it was fine. Most of the sound from DVD's comes from the center. You will likely have to play with the speaker settings so it doesn't over-shadow the other speakers too much.

Now the "bad" news - the RC-7 is a great speaker. When you hear it in your system, you will very likely want to get the rest of the 7's. That's what happened to me. May want to pick up those RS-7s from mOOn then you are on your way!

Well, I think I'll try the RF3s and RC3II first (the RF3s are still with FedEx) and see if I get a big enough sound. Again, this is a 100% HT setup I'm putting together. I have a HSU VTF3 MKII being delivered tomorrow.

If it's not to my liking, I suppose I could slide the RF3s to the rear, sell the RC3II or move that to center rear for 6.1, pick up an RC7 and either some RF5s or (gasp) RF7s for the front. But that's quite a bit of dough.

I've changed my mind on the RC7s... RB75s would be easier to deal with as far as mounting and accoustics.

Your up in Seattle? I'm in portland area.. You should come down and have a full on demo.. Not some cheezy demo in a bad environment...

I saw pics of your theater room and the RF7s up front look mighty imposing. A demo of that monster would be pretty sweet.. Maybe when I get all my stuff in place and have a good listening session and then maybe look into getting a RC7 after all, I'll find some time to mosey down to Portlandtownville.