Three rooms,which is best?

Fish

I have my music/ht in my family room,its 21x24 w/cathedral ceiling from 8' to 11'w/4ft flat ceiling in center and one 6'wide opening.I know this is not optimum so,I also have a 14 x 22 w/cathedral ceiling 12 ft high in the center w/2-4'openings.I also have a room thats just used for whatever 16x24 w/8'ceiling and no open areas,only doors.I been thinkin the 16x24 would make a good music/ht room but thought I'd ask if I could expect a real improvement.

Jeebus Fish... What do you own a castle or something? My only concern with the later of the three rooms is the 8' high ceilings. If you have other rooms as you do, have you considered using one of those and perhaps having a contractor come in and frame in the openings?

Where are the openings anyway? The back wall? If so, that may not be such a bad thing. Would allow the low frequencies a chance to escape and not give such bounce back.

I dunno.... I may not be giving very good advice, but thats what seems logical to me. 4.gif

Thanks from my wife guys,she wants the 16x24 for a game/lounge room.The 16x24 is a very secluded room w/insulation in all walls,thats why I considered it,but it sounds like thats a no go for music.m00n,I am a contractor and even design many of my house plans.I guess I'll have to start asking if any rooms will be dedicated listening ares and design accordingly,back to school.

First, I look for a room with a three nice walls for the home movie and music reproduction system to form a 3D illusion of the sonic holograph. That is hard enough. But if you have a choice of three equally square rooms, I would around the edge of each one, clapping steadily as I go and listening for the echo. Right there, you will hear your answer. Pick the one with the most outlets and the least echo. If it is for HT, pick the one with the least windows.

2.gif