Cross-over settings

Darren

----------------

On 4/1/2004 8:46:15 AM toddvj wrote:

Wheelman, It sounds like you are talking about settings on the subwoofer itself. I have my crossover set at the highest setting. That is a totally seperate issue from the setting on the receiver.

----------------

Yes, I forgot that some receivers are set to either small or large. I have had some that cut it off at different frequency and stated it. I run mine on large for some music and small for some of the bass heavier stuff. ON my Harman i can have a different crossover for every input source. So that's pretty cool i have it on large without the sub for radio, and have it on small with the sub for tv, and dvd.

----------------

On 4/1/2004 9:21:56 AM hwatkins wrote:

Darren - this is my vote for Bill's (MrMcgoo) comments. I spent bunches of mistakes on getting to the same conclusion. Going a full octave around a crossover is an excellent (and my minimum) way to blend at the crossover point. Set at 80hz you would want a speaker that performs decent to 40hz and a sub that is fine with 160hz. Setting to small is not a slap at the speakers performance, but a decision to use another speaker in your system (the subwoofer). And - I find it is very nice with music as well - I don't feel like I lose anything.

----------------

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to understand the logic. Why again would it hurt to roll the sub off at a lower crossover point? The Sub is also not going to cut off at exactly the crossover point any more than the Main speakers are, so if a speaker can play down to 50Hz and you set the crossover at 50, the speakers will gradually roll off below 50Hz, and the sub will gradually roll off above 50Hz. Are you trying to say that the speaker can't handle a 40Hz note because it only is supposed to play down to 50Hz? Well that's why you have set the Sub to play that frequency. Hopefully the sub is on the same slope (although opposite) so as the speakers' frequency response drops off, the sub picks it up proportionately. Hopefully this makes sense, I understand exactly what I mean, but may not be wording it correctly.

The reason for the 80 Hz crossover setting is that you want flat frequency response from the speaker array in the 20-200 Hz zone. Crossovers have "slopes." When the sum of the output from the subwoofer and the mains are added togther, the output should be level.

If the mains fall off too rapidly, then the sum of the output will not be level. The fall off in response will be noticed unless the mains can play one full octave below the crossover setting.

Bill

Could you set your receiver at small, and it is say a set 100 hz crossover and set your sub at 90hz? Sf-2's play down to 35hz. I know you can of course, but would it be play accurate? So if my crossover on my receiver is 100hz. Where would i want to set my sub? 100? would 90 work? or higher 120hz for the slope?

Going back to my example, the speaker may have dropped off considerably at 40hz, but since the sub is dropping off at frequencies HIGHER than 50hz, I still don't understand why the mains need to reproduce frequencies handled adequetly by the sub?? In other words if the sub has a "flat" frequency response from 20-50Hz, why would it matter if the main speakers can play anything below 50?

Well it's been awhile since i put my crossover cranked to the highest about a month. And i just watched the new show touching evil. All i can say is Boom! Sounded great and really flooded the room with bass without it being really directional. That episode had great surround in it even for prologic. BOOM!!!2.gif