Home Theater Setup

bburkava

I'm new to the forum but would like to solicit all of your advice. I am a college student and will be living in either a dorm room or a small apartment for the next several years of my life. I am looking to purchase speakers for a home theater system and am looking for advice.

I want to spend around $1,000-1,500 on speaker components and am looking for suggestions. I would prefer something that would be efficient with space, but not sacrifice too much sound quality. The system will be used probably equally for DVD's and music, but I am looking for a system with at least 2 fronts, a center channel, and a sub(maybe a low end SVS or a KSW-10). I already have the Promedia 2.1 multimedia speakers on my computer, love them and would like to purchase another set of Klipsch speakers. Any suggestion as to where to spend more money to maximize quality would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

In your price range, you may want to look at a HSU Research subwoofer. It will save you a couple hundred dollars. Figure $400 plus shipping for the subwoofer. That leaves you with a maximum of $1,100 for the other 5 speakers. You could probably get the RB 25 series (Rb 25, RC 25, and either RB 25 or RS 25 for surrounds) to fit into that budget. For $200 more you might be able to move up to the RB 35 series which I would recommend if you can come up with the extra.

Size is definitely a concern in a dorm room, so full floorstanding speakers are probably completely out. I agree with the idea of bookshelfs instead.

I do not know prices very well, but how interested are you in getting a full 5 channel? If you would rather have some very good quality fronts and then worry about surrounds later, do you guys think he could fit the RB-75's in his budget? I don't know the MSRP on those speaks...

But definitely get a nice sub if you are going to be going with bookshelves. They will be pulling quite a bit since you won't be having the floorstanders.

----------------

On 3/31/2004 2:35:08 AM bburkava wrote:

I'm new to the forum but would like to solicit all of your advice. I am a college student and will be living in either a dorm room or a small apartment for the next several years of my life. I am looking to purchase speakers for a home theater system and am looking for advice.

I want to spend around $1,000-1,500 on speaker components and am looking for suggestions. I would prefer something that would be efficient with space, but not sacrifice too much sound quality. The system will be used probably equally for DVD's and music, but I am looking for a system with at least 2 fronts, a center channel, and a sub(maybe a low end SVS or a KSW-10). I already have the Promedia 2.1 multimedia speakers on my computer, love them and would like to purchase another set of Klipsch speakers. Any suggestion as to where to spend more money to maximize quality would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

----------------

Assumeing you've already looked at Klipsch speakers....

Definitive Technology can give you lots of boom in a small space--their PROMEDIA 5.1 sets are pretty good

ENERGY speakers --take5 set was getting good reviews..

MISSION bookshelves--I had these in college, and I think they are great speakers, not common in U.S. it seems...

M&K speakers are very well regarded, and some of their sets are well priced....

Anthony Gallo at http://www.roundsound.com has some very unique and interesting designs...

CANTON speakers are very nice, as are DYNAUDIO.

PHASE TECHNOLOGY also has some alright 5.1 setups....

B&W also has some great "inexpensive" speakers--worth saving to build a B&W theater around...

bang for the buck---Klipsch will deliver time and time again--what you get vs. what you pay is considerable. I offer these other brands so that you have several choices as a consumer--love what you get, do your homework, listen and get the best you can the first time around. building a nice theater on a budget takes time and lots of shopping around---go to www.audiogon.com or EBAY to find good prices on equipment. you can get equipment that was completely out of your price range because someone else has the upgrade bug. I built my H/T over the course of 2+ years and I saved 8000.00 from what I would have paid for it, had I walked into an audio shop to get the exact same pieces.

Good luck to you--don't get suckered in by "THEATER IN A BOX"--do some research, you'll be glad you did.

-advice to a "poor college kid" from a former college, always "poor" kid.