Rotel Processor question

Darren

Sorry guys, pretty specific question. Anyone know what the differences are between the Rotel RSP-1066 and the new RSP-1068 processors? I've heard the RSP-1068 has the Dolby Pro-logic IIx (for 6.1 and 7.1 systems). Anyone know what else changed? I've heard there was no change to the main components - i.e., no difference in sound quality, but no one seems to know this.

Thanks!

Darren,

I've compared the two, along with Rotel's flagship 1098, critically to decide myself if I should upgrade to the 1068 or the 1098 from my present 1066. I've been at a dealer and A-B-C'd all three units.

Hardware wise the 1068 has a new cpu, more memory and new DACs. The new processor allows for PLIIx, improved bass management and improved channel steering, DTS 24/96 along with the ability for future fine tuneing. The the new DACs definitly create an improvement in sound quality, although it is not as great an improvement as one would find in the 1098. The 1066 and the 1068 are both cost driven products and contain some compromises in internal componentry. However, both the units are supurb sounding units, heads and sholders above most receivers.

My conclusion, there is not a significant enough difference between the 1066 and the 1068 to warrant my investing in the upgrade, so I am looking seriously at the 1098 or perhaps the Aragon Stage One.

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

On 4/1/2004 8:22:35 AM markmaple wrote:

Which would you recommend if you could get a 1066 (new or used) for say $1000 vs maybe $1600 for the 1068?

----------------

A lot depends on if you are running 5.1 or 7.1. If you are running 5.1 there is very little advantage to a 1068 over a 1066. If you are running 7.1 PLIIx will, as I understand give you matrixed surround for the back surrounds. Rotel XS, which is in the 1066 does something similar, but perhaps not as well. The sonic differences between the two are otherwise very subjective. If you can procure a 1066 for $900 to 1K, new or used it is a good deal. Rotel products are very reliable, and either they have difficulties from the get go or they work flawlessly for a long time, so warrantee is perhaps not as important as cost.

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

On 4/5/2004 11:22:06 AM glr wrote:

I spoke with a technical rep at Rotel and was told that virtually the only difference between the 1068 and the 1098 is the LCD display and THX certification.

I ordered the 1068 last week.

----------------

I would like to know who you spoke to? Right now I'm wondering how reliable your source was. To my understanding neither of the units are THX certified, and the display on the 1098 is TFT not LCD. Also, I've looked inside both units (1068 & 1098) and there are significant differences in the power supplies, shileding, opamps, resistors, build, etc.

Jerry Rappaport

I don't remember the technical rep's name and the LCD was my terminology. However, he did mention THX certification and that may be because it meets their specs without the endorsement.

If you've seen the inside of both units, you should be correct. I can only relate what I was told and couldn't justify the difference in cost.

• Like 1

----------------

On 4/6/2004 9:38:04 AM glr wrote:

If you've seen the inside of both units, you should be correct. I can only relate what I was told and couldn't justify the difference in cost.

----------------

The 1068 taken on it's own, looks very well built on the inside until you look at the guts of the 1098. Then and only then are the cost cutting measures applied to the 1068 apparent. As far as sound goes, if you've owned a 1066 and upgrade to a 1068 you will initially hear a difference, then after a bit of listening it will be hard to remember the difference unless you were to switch back to the 1066. If you then were to move from a 1068 to a 1098 you would hear another improvement. If you were to move directly from a 1066 to a 1098 then the improvement in sound quality and soundstage would be very noticable. The best move of all would be from a 1066 to an Aragon Stage One, now,... that unit sounded real hot....but it is also a grand more than the 1098. Right now I'm saving my pennies to either move to the 1098 or the Stage One.

Jerry R

I just picked up RSP-1068 on Monday night. I really like the unit, but I am having a problem. I was getting a hum in my speakers. After much investigating, it happens when I have the multi-channel outputs from the DVD player connected to the Rotel AND I have a video connection from the DVD player to the Rotel. If I disconnect all of the multi-channel outputs or all video connections, the hum disappears. Any thought? I will try to contact Rotel today.

Keep us posted on what you find out. I'm really interested since the 1068 I ordered is due in next week.

Does the hum stop when you run the video straight to the tv and leave the audio connected to the 1068?

• Like 1

Is this cheater plug an adapter that takes a 3-prong plug to a 2-prong plug? All of the plugs on my equipment are 2-prongs.

Tonight, I tried a different DVD player. I had the same results. I guess I'll take it into the dealer next week and see if it behaves the same there.