The grand plan

yromj

I've got two receivers coming which should be here in a week or so. I've got a Yamaha 1400 and a Marantz SR7400 coming. I'm going to A/B them at home. (By A/B I mean have them for the same time period, not switch instantly back and forth between them.)

Has anyone heard anything about that particular Marantz. I heard that the early models had problems w/ heat and audio drop-out, but they've supposedly fixed the problem. Any other thoughts will be appreciated.

John- Who's fascinated w/ the 7400's remote.

I'm trying to approach this test objectively, but I've got to be honest. I love the features of the Marantz so much that I'm hoping it sounds at least as good as the 1400. The biggest features it has going for it, IMHO, are the macro-capable remote and the upgradability via RS232.

John

I had the marantz sr7400 and the yamaha RX-V2400 in choice and took the yammie because of it's unique features (YAPO, Video-conversion, equalizer, best DSP-programs). To me the receivers in this price class sound very similar.

Another important reason: I have had several Yamaha components and had never any trouble with them. My friends who have yamaha component also never had trouble with them.

Take the Yammie!

----------------

On 4/4/2004 6:11:59 AM dr-dezibel wrote:

I had the marantz sr7400 and the yamaha RX-V2400 in choice and took the yammie because of it's unique features (YAPO, Video-conversion, equalizer, best DSP-programs). To me the receivers in this price class sound very similar.

Another important reason: I have had several Yamaha components and had never any trouble with them. My friends who have yamaha component also never had trouble with them.

Take the Yammie!
----------------

The 2400 does have a couple of features that the 7400 doesn't have, namely auto-setup and THX processing/certification. However, these aren't very important to me. The Marantz does have the video up-conversion, though. The equalizer and DSPs aren't much of an issue w/ me either. Besides the Marantz has treble/bass adjustments available from the remote.

The two I'll be comparing though are the 1400 and the 7400, because of price. The 7400 has two major benefits to me over the 1400, the RS232 port and the remote, which is the best remote I've seen in a unit in this price range. Yamaha's dependability is awesome though, there's no doubt about that.

In the end it's going to come down to sound quality.

John

I don't know if i ever read a bad review of a marantz especially their cheaper ones. Usually people are mad they spent the extra money on the more expensive ones. I guess they make really good budget ones. Musically speaking i read their good and can drive really hard to drive speakers. I will love to hear what you have to say about it.

"upgradability via RS232."

Let me first say that I have the Marantz sr8200 and LOVE it. It was the best receiver with my speakers/in my room that I demoed. I found them to be great for HT and better than other A/V receivers for 2 channel with some Heresys. Had it about 2 years, no problems at all.

The one thing I don't like is that Maratntz is charging about $200 for the software upgrade to my sr8200. So yeah, it is upgradeable, but I just hate putting 200 more dollars toward a 1600$ piece of gear. Maybe thats just me:)

I looked at the features of the new software, and didn't see anything killer to me, so Im holding off for the moment. I'm not sure what remote the lower models come with, but the rc2300 touchscreen with the 8200 is incredible. It's pretty much a rebranded pronto from what I understand. Very nice.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I chose the 7400 over the other Marantz's is the remote. It comes w/ a macro-capable remote.

As far as the $200 for the upgrade, yea that's a little more than I would like to see it cost, but it's still cheaper than needing to buy a new receiver just to get a few extra features.

John