DO SVS Subs have a high pass on speaker out?

boa12

if they do have a high pass filter on speaker out, why do they? if u connect your big tower mains thru the svs, why would it limit bass to them at say 100hz. doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting more 50-100hz bass to the mains (tom)?

even if svs doesn't have a high pass could u or someone

answer anyway cwm35.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

keith, yea but the velodyne manual says not to do it.

we were talking about the high pass on another thread on the ksw where someone said to not set the low pass cross under 100hz when running speaker out to the mains. just trying to find out the dynamics on how the

low pass & high pass jive together. just one of those things ya know cwm30.gif

was hoping TV of svs could explain maybe... cwm16.gif

the trouble is my velo hgs has been in the shop for 'bout a mo. now so i can't experiment w/ it cwm14.gif

thanks cjett. i did go to their website & looked for the info through out, but didn't think of using their forum. kinda hoping tv(tom) would pick it up here.

just academic research but may have to try that cwm30.gif

------------------

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes,the SV PCs have a linelevel HP---100hz if memory serves...12dB/octave.

Ideally, yes---you'd like to see some adjustability there. But to try to customize the amp would be a very expensive issue. And I'm not sure if there's a real need regardless. Since the guys looking for all the adjustability are the ones (usually)willing/wanting to spend the money on a good external crossover box anyway(Marchand and maybe the 3400cx).

TV

tv, thank you. imagine they use a high pass for a smoother roll-off to the mains in concert w/ the low pass? could u give a brief tech explanation for a high pass? iow, why do most subs seem to use 'em? and doesn't the high pass also filter on the sub speaker level connections?

when connecting thru the sub, isn't the low pass good enough & especially if folks want to send more bass to their bigger front speaks? is this another one of those THX standards engrained in our equipment?

all the subs do seem to use that high pass. some switchable between 80&100hz, so no knock on svs here.

just looking to u for the tech insight. cwm35.gif

external crossover - may have to look into that. especially a line level. may take care of that fixed cut-off at 80hz (& my griping on these receiver makers/thx standards) Smile.gif

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-21-2001 at 03:44 PM

>>>tv, thank you. imagine they use a high pass for a smoother roll-off to the mains in concert w/ the low pass?<<<

in theory,yes. Once you add a quality subwoofer...one of the primary benefits is going to be relieving the main speakers of the responsibility of producing the low bass. This is usually down in the DD decoder's internal bass-management circuits.

>>> could u give a brief tech explanation for a high pass? iow, why do most subs seem to use 'em?<<<

Probably just an inexpensive feature to add...that acts as sort of a safety-net for anyone purchasing the subwoofer that's not going to use it with a component that includes some sort of crossover network.(like a DD decoder).Unless you can charge a ton of money for the product---you're not going to be able to build in a lot of flexibility here.

>>>and doesn't the high pass also filter on the sub speaker level connections?<<<

They have their own passive network. Typically a 6dB/octave slope. Since it's passive...it's exact crossover point is going to depend on the impedence load of the speakers you're using. That's why it's usually a better idea to use the linelevel ins/outs if you HAVE to depend on the subwoofer to HP the mains.

>>>

when connecting thru the sub, isn't the low pass good enough & especially if folks want to send more bass to their bigger front speaks?<<<

Well, the LP(lowpass) is only to affect the *lows* that are passing through to the subwoofer for reproduction. This is the crossover *knob* you see on the subs.

>>> is this another one of those THX standards engrained in our equipment?

all the subs do seem to use that high pass. some switchable between 80&100hz, so no knock on svs here.

just looking to u for the tech insight. <<<

Actually, we should be thanking god for THX in many regards dealing with this hobby. I'm not a huge fan of their subwoofer requirements...but they have made things one hell of a lot easier for us...in ways few people realize.

Tomlison Holman is a true icon in the industry...if you think *bass management* is a mess now(with all the different manufacturers offering slightly skewed variations on a theme)...god help us all if Holman and THX didn't offer any insight. Remember the older yamaha decoders with a built in NON-adjustable 200hz setting for any speaker set to small....yikes!

>>>external crossover - may have to look into that. especially a line level. may take care of that fixed cut-off at 80hz (& my griping on these receiver makers/thx standards<<<

Something like the behringer cx3400 might work for you...it offers adjustments down to 44hz I believe.

TV

thanks so much tv. you're an audio angel from heaven for my anal tech inquiring mind Biggrin.gif

------------------

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!