Need suggestions on an amp

markmaple

Here is my situation. I am currently running 6.1 and don't really plan to go 7.1 in the future. I was using a Denon AVR-2803. About a month ago, I bought a Rotel RMB-1075 (5x120W) amplifier and used the 2803 as my pre-amp. Yesterday, I ordered a Rotel RSP-1068 pre/pro. That leaves without power for my rear center. I don't really consider the rear center channel to be all that important. My questions are:

1. How important is it to match the brand of the amp for the rear center amp to the other 5?

2. How important is it to match the power of the amp for the rear center amp to the other 5?

3. Any suggestions for an inexpensive amp for my rear center.

4. Should I keep my eyes open for maybe the Rotel (2x200) to drive the front left and right?

I like the idea of a Rotel 200w x2 amp for the mains. You would be able to run them full range if you want to do so. There is very little information going to the surrounds, so the 1075 would have most of its power supply available for the center channel.

Bill

Is there any problem with having more power to the mains (if I went 200WPC) than the rest of the channels (my current 120WPC)? Is it just a matter of balancing the speakers using a SPL?

Also, I bi-amp the center speaker using the extra channel, how is the connection made between the pre/pro and the amp? A "Y" adapter for the interconnect?

----------------

On 4/4/2004 7:32:04 AM markmaple wrote:

Also, I bi-amp the center speaker using the extra channel, how is the connection made between the pre/pro and the amp? A "Y" adapter for the interconnect?

----------------

They also make a connector that has one male RCA and two females. I've seen the Monster brand but I'm sure there are others.