don't blast me for this one but.....

BruinsFan

looking at the RSW12....maybe the RSW15. The problem is the WAF. Their a bit big. Is there a brand that would match other Klipsch speakers (RF5, RCW5, etc) and perform as well as a RSW12 and yet not nearly as big?

Hate to jump to a different company - but i have a better chance of getting bigger mains (rf7) if I get a smaller sub.

Alternatively: can you put anything on a sub? hate to say it - but like potted plant or something. She wanted me to ask :-) seems like it would vibrate to much but they are solid. And of course it can't effect sound.

There are three main characteristics in hoffman's iron law: efficiency, extension, and physical size of a subwoofer or any type of bass enclosure. The law states that out of the three, you can only pick 2, and the other is a compromise.

If size is of the most importance, than you must trade off extension, or efficiency. Since movies have a lot of low frequency energy, even accepting a f3 of 25 hz will result in an extremely inefficient woofer that requires a lot of wattage.

The sunfire signature edition measures in at 13" x 13" x 15" and can really belt out the low frequencies, with authority. The ear can comment on this one, but I don't know if it will be able to keep up with the Rsw series in the 30 hz + range, but it will play low.

You can place plants, etc on a subwoofer, just put some of foam shelf liner material underneath, and they won't budge an inch. It also prevents anything from scratching the finish on the subwoofer.

The Sunfire Signature I have will play 31.5hz even louder then the RSW-15 will, however above 40hz...the RSW will be louder because of its musical peak. The Sunfire is a true subwoofer, its not ment to have any midbass, just subsonic bliss. Thats certainly not to say the RSW-15 can hold its own, because it most certainly can, but it won't play as loud in the 20hz-31.5hz area. ITs about even around 35hz.

"The Sunfire Signature I have will play 31.5hz even louder then the RSW-15 will, however above 40hz...the RSW will be louder because of its musical peak. The Sunfire is a true subwoofer, its not ment to have any midbass, just subsonic bliss. Thats certainly not to say the RSW-15 can hold its own, because it most certainly can, but it won't play as loud in the 20hz-31.5hz area. ITs about even around 35hz."

Ok, so is there a sub that does both?

----------------

On 4/5/2004 3:07:50 AM BruinsFan wrote:

I'll check out the sunfires - any suggestions on where to purchase - not sure i've seen them locally??

How about Definitive Technology?? Sounded decent to me - but didn't really try them out much.

----------------

I'm a big Def Tech advocate, but I don't believe I'd buy their stand alone subs--I think for the money you can do better.

the Sunfire line is Very nice, also check out Earthquake, and the box subs for SVS which are also well reviewed. the box SVS units can also be done in Finishes which improves the WAF...

People get to the point,blah blah blah...the bottom line is Sunfire subs kick the competition in the face and out.

The smallest Super Junior bests all competition of the same size,the Mark IV does the same in its size class and finally the Signature has no equal in its size class.Stick a for in Definitive's hype machine and while at it another fork in B0$e.

----------------

On 4/9/2004 3:01:46 PM BruinsFan wrote:

"The Sunfire Signature I have will play 31.5hz even louder then the RSW-15 will, however above 40hz...the RSW will be louder because of its musical peak. The Sunfire is a true subwoofer, its not ment to have any midbass, just subsonic bliss. Thats certainly not to say the RSW-15 can hold its own, because it most certainly can, but it won't play as loud in the 20hz-31.5hz area. ITs about even around 35hz."

Ok, so is there a sub that does both?

----------------

Maybe one of the big box SVS subs but they have an even worse WAF factor than the Klipsch. Probably better off to stick with the Sunfire.