Placement La Scala

howard

We are moving into a new place, and our listening room will be 19' x 12' x 9' ceiling.

We will be putting the stereo at one end of the room, but my question is where and how should I orient our La Scala's? How far from the back wall? How far from the listener is enough? Any toe-in or straight on? The floor will be cork or hardwood. Should I put something under the speakers? Thank you for all of your suggestions.

i think you should orient them with some toe in, in order they point on you.

if your floor is hardwood you should place something like a carpet on the floor between you and the speakers in order to reduce the reflections.

for the distance between the speakers and the wall...i think it should be a distance but i don t know how much centimetres...you should make some tests so you ll place the speakers where they sound the best for you.

How far should you place your La Scala's from the wall? The manual that came with mine when I bought them 20 years ago was to corner them toes in to such a degree that you can project the desired sweet spot. Ideally you would get the best bass response that way. That having been said La Scala's were designed to work in a freestanding field and still reproduce substantial bass. So you really do have a lot of placement options. One thing to remember is the wider the toe in the further down your room your true sweet spot will be, or as you move closer to the source you will have a widening effect of sweet area and not just one projected point all be it within limitations. The toe in widening is more of a compromise to widen your listening area. You will be off of the true sweet spot but youll have a slightly wider range of good sound projection and imaging. Try to set your range from your listening position to the speakers as close to equidistant as they are apart. Doing this perfectly will give you the best imaging but it will narrow your sweet spot some if you placed them at a 45 degree hence a widening of the toe in will help this. I would place some carpet pads under the speakers for two reasons; one to protect your floor and two to cut down reflections some. Enjoy!!

Thank you, Doudou, for your response.

I'm not French, but lived there for a year or so, and

will return some day to live for the better part of the year.

So does 'French at heart' count? Merci pour votre reponse a ma question.

Howard, you will have to experiment with placement to find what works best. Mine are about 2 feet from the side wall and 3 feet from the back wall. La scalas will have the best, deepest bass pushed into the corners. I don't because I have subwoofers for the deep bass and they need the corners to match output.