Oh La Scala.....

JoeCool

Klipsch is like an old habit....doesn't really go away.

I used to own a pair of Heresy's and loved them incredibly. Two years ago, changed houses and the room was just inadequate to give me the pinpoint sweet spot I had grown to love...traded them in..bought a pair of Paradigm Studio 100, Brystoms amps and rediscovered love...

Still kept the Reference (RF-3, RC-3, RS-3) Home theatre set up and was quite happy with it...until I came across this '97 pair of La Scalas a couple of days ago...Good as new, honest..at the equivalent of USD 1,400 I thought they were a steal, given their almost new condition (they had been in storage for the past 3 years!). Just couldn't pass it up.

Any doubts at the somewhat impulse purchase vanished into thin air as soon as they started pouring these incredible sounds...The RF-3s went into my storage! the corners of my home theater were thus occupied with these big monsters...

No SPL meter or AVIA disk can achieve what my ear can....pure pleasure.

I will soon be looking for a heritage speaker for the center, but for the moment, the RC-3 will have to do...

They are actually '94. Finish is black - not my favourite, but OK since they are in my Home Theatre, where we watch in the dark anyway, due to the front projector.

I have a Denon 3803 AV Amp, but have a LINN LK85 Power Amp running the fronts (the La Scalas).

So far...nirvana!

• 2 months later...

Finally managed to get my hands on a pretty decent Heresy II for center duties.

Life's pretty tough out here (in Pakistan) as it is - and this was no easy affair. Actually went to the dealer (who had a used 6/7 year old pair) and convinced him to locate another customer who would (SHOULD) like this for a center! after weeks, it actually happened! Paid the equivalent of about US$300 for the speaker (it's in excellent condition).

The real stuff? I have to say that despite decades of familiarity with Klipsch (from uncles, elder brothers...), this is one brand that continues to surprise me. While the RC-3 "was not unpleasant" (to quote another reviewer on this forum, since it's a great speaker in and of itself, my bigger problem was not quite timber matching - the La Scalas were simply overpowering the center. They were all over the place, quite literally. The Heresys simply calmed them down! Trouble is, now I know that the surrounds have to be replaced as well. One of those damned things I guess, but the real piece is this - while the difference may be well be marginal to some ears, it's just not right to try and equate it to dollars and cents. The word "priceless" is perhaps the most relevant here. It's much like poetry - a couplet means so much...you can write books about it, but what it has the potential to convey can only be captured in itself.

Bottomline - Heritage rules. And how.

AH! Another Klipsch follower experiencing the pleasures of the Heritage line and in Pakistan to boot which is a feat unto itself. I have been slowly building my HT for the past 4 years and it now consists of all Heritage big boys. Sometimes it literally sounds so good I have to shake my head in disbelief. It just keeps getting better too! I will be installing one of Dean G's PIO AA crossovers tonight in my La Scala center I hope to pleasantly pleased.

Enjoy your new Klipsch speakers!