Yammy 1400 Sub out issues

I was hoping to get some suggestions from someone , maybe a solution.

I just received my RF7s and commenced in hooking all my A/V equipment up for the first time finally. After running the Yammy YPAO auto setup program, all was great, very accurate (YPAO) all was well until I realized that I could here no Sub? I tried a few variations of LFE configuring with the front channels , still nothing?

I checked and doublechecked the setup and all was hooked up right. I even pulled the plug and rubbed my finger over the tip and it made plenty of noise (the sub is working fine). I am only left with the asumption that the sub out on the rec. is bad? I am using an HSU sub.

If anyone has dealt with this issue please share.

Thanks SKID

I have RF-7s and an RX-V1400. When you press the level button on the remote and toggle through the speakers, is there a level number for the subwoofer in the orange readout on the front of the receiver? If its just a line, then maybe the YPAO didnt register the sub.

Press the test button on the remote (page 46 of the manual) and toggle to the sub and see if you hear the tone. This will override the YPAO settings and indicate if the sub is connected.

One thing to be careful with the YPAO is to set the RF-7s to Front (step 5 page 25) If you dont then the equalizer will make them equal with the surrounds so they sound small and you will loose a lot of tone control on the receiver too.

Also, if you select Step in step 6 page 25 then the results of each check will be displayed on your TV screen and you can see how the YPAO set the sub.

Do the sub troubleshooting on the bottom of page 78 too.

Ive only had mine a couple of months, so Im not an expert.

Good to hear someone is using the same setup I just purchased.

I did check all your sugestions, and still I get nothing. I am suprised the YPAO did not give me an eror message when going through the setup programs for LFE. All other functions work fine. Like I said the unit was an opened box, which makes sense why it was returned to the store the 1st time.

They said to bring it back and they will just get another unit.

Stay in touch . I could use the input from a fellow Yamy/Klipsch user.

Thanks SKID

Youre right, it should have given you an error message because if the YPAO determined that a sub was connected and then did the equalizing, it wouldnt have picked up an actual sound from the sub, this would have triggered the error message.

I have the RC-7 and two RS-7 compliments to the RF-7s. I trust the YPAO for the graphic equalizer on the surrounds and I write down its preferred sound levels for a reference, but after all is said and done I like to adjust the sound levels a little depending on my mood and what Im watching. I mostly use it for two channel though.

Let us know how you resolve the problem.

I am not sure if I like the way the YPAO is so accurate. I mean once it is set up , if you are 3 ft. outside of the listening area you loose the sweet spot. Although I can leave the doors to my house open and have the unit blasting , and still the sound seems to stay inside my house?

I like your idea about writing the settings from the YPAO down for a ref.

Right now I am using some old Yamaha bookshelves for my surrounds until I can get a pair of RS's but I cant seem to get much volume outta them. So i constantly tinker with them. If you can show some pics of your RS monting I would love to see how they mount.

Ill have to work at getting a photo. The RS-7s hang on two screws, Mollies etc. The screws and size are described in the RS manual. There is a template in the manual for the position of the fasteners and these match up with two metal mounting brackets on the back of each speaker. When mounted, the speakers look like theyre just stuck on the wall. One of mine is up on a beam, looks OK.

Sounds like they will mount rather easily then. I am not quite sure where I will hang them, on the sides or in the back sides

Looks like I have to wait until the 27th to get the new 1400, kind of a bummer since I have yet to hear the sub. I dont think I can bring it back after 14 days. lol Im kinda screwed there. I was watching a movie tonight , and those rf7s and rc7 just flat out scream!

I really like my RFs, theyre so clear, I hear things I never knew was in some music. I think the best advice I got when auditioning speakers was get the best center channel you can, thats so true for HT.

There is that whole big controversy about speaker break-in, here and on other audio forums. Before I got my RFs I was biased towards the ear break-in side but now after having these a few months, I think the speakers change, and for the better. I remember right out of the box they brought to mind a transistor radio up in the attic, but now they sound like the ones in the stores. So if you like yours now, regardless which side of the break-in controversy youre on, if anything, theyll sound better with time. In fact, since yours are new you might want to pay attention to the break-in, so if we can ever resolve the break-in controversy, youll have an opinion.

Yeah that is true. I still have to set the spikes because my floor is Berber. I was told my base response would be better if the spikes were actually setting on the slab.

Question do you run a 5.1 or 7.1 channel system with your Yammy? i ask because I can not yet pick up the surrounds for the back but I am trying to figure out how to use my old Yamaha bookshelf speakers for some kind of surround or rear 5.1 set up for now. I am having trouble getting much sound out of them with a 5.1 setup.. Although there is plenty of sound with music.(I did run the YPOA) it set them at small at about +1.0 each.

I run mine 5.1, dont have front presence speakers or speakers behind. DVDs determine the sound level and different movies do different things with the surround. On the remote control button LEVEL you can toggle to each speaker and then adjust the level with the CH- or CH+ button. Try it with a movie, if you cant get more sound to your liking, maybe the movie just isnt putting out much sound to that speaker. With movies that dont have processing like DTS or Pro Logic IIx e.g. stereo only, you can use 7 channel sound on the remote control stereo button 1 and this will give multi speaker mode and you will get sound from the side surrounds.

I did try both settings, I have a new receiver on the way. I had a Klipsch dealer take a look at the receiver, he said the Sub out and the pre outs were dead.

And I did get the rears adjusted correctly...not the best surround sound, but itssomething , until I get some RS7s in the house.

Skidmarks, I got the Telarc 1812 Overture SACD yesterday and at the end there are test tones for all the 5.1 speakers the way they actually come from a SACD.

The SACD has to come from the player to the RX-V1400 through 6 interconnects to the MULTI CH INPUT plug section. Now here is what I didnt realize; the RX-V1400 has to be in the MULTI CH IN mode (remote control top right orange button. Its a toggle button) to play SACD. I was using all other modes with the Dylan demo SACD that came with the Yamaha but wasnt getting true SACD and the Telarc SACD showed that. No wonder that demo didnt impress me, it does now.

Now there is something I am not quite sure about. I am using a DVD player for my music, which is getting more popular for why have to components when one can do both,mine is not sacd capable, but from what I read to play sacd it cannot be from a digital source? I dont quite understand that?

Skidmarks,

I have had the same issue with my Yammay 2400. You need to go into the manual setting (see book please) and simply adjust the DB level of the sub. I assume you are not having problems when you are running the receiver in 6ch mode but are when running in 2ch mode. I've had two seperate 2400's and have had the same issue. Once you do the change it will work. Good Luck.

-Andy

No I can not get the sub to work in 2or6 channel mode>>>no mode is working<<

Its all taken care of though , just another waiting game. I cant complain, I am a first time home theater builder, I spent about $10 K in the last 2 months , so I would expect some issues along the road.

• 4 weeks later...

After much playing around and just flat out frustration, my son walks up and points out a switch that I never did see on the sub( in /out)....it was set to in , I switched it to out ,and now I have boom? KIDS!

So from what I understand, I cannot use the bash amp built into the sub, unless I use the other connections, for now I am using the mono connection?

I did however expect more sound from the sub?