Rebuilding a Legend...

HornEd

After rebuilding a KLF 30 that had been abused in shipping, two thoughts occurred to me.

cwm40.gifOne, that building a horizontal Legend center channel was within my grasp. And that is being custom built for me now.

cwm40.gifTwo, although I much prefer full-range speakers as side surrounds and rear effects, they would fit better if the motor board and speakers were on the wide side of the Legend tower. That would allow them to hug the wall more closely and be aesthetically pleasing.

Of course, the question becomes, how different might a KLF 30 sound if an exact size, braced and rear ported MDF cabinet with the speakers on the wide side... probably not as far off as some side/surround speakers seem to my ear when contrasted with KLF 30 mains.

Then again, the advantage would be only save 2" in room penetration but would be more attractive.

cwm40.gif Wouldn't it be swell if Klipsch would build full-range RF7 towers that rear and side speakers that would allow the flat side against the wall... maybe with a switch that allows them to be WDST or straight firing?

Any thoughts horn friends? cwm35.gif HornEd

------------------

"A Klipsch Powered Theater Where Legends Live!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF C7 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra / Samson 1000 Subwoofer

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweaking On!

Cornwall II Music Room Under Construction

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-05-2001 at 03:10 PM

HornEd,

As long as you can fit all the components in, I don't think it would be a problem. Speakers from most companies (including Klipsch) moved away from wide and shallow boxes to narrow and deep boxes (started calling them "Tower Speakers") for a couple of reasons. The first is that it is easier to fit a narrow/deep speaker into your room (not to mention WAF, etc.). I think this is the main reason we don't have Cornwalls available today. The second reason was for sonic reasons, if you have a dome tweeter sitting on the face of the speaker, you can minimize the sound diffractions from the face of the speaker by reducing the face of the speaker. Of course with horns, that isn't a problem. So, my guess is that you can make this change and not hear any differences.

Thanks, JMON, it's refreshing to hear what fits in with what I recall.

Frankly, I see the discrete full-frequency trend increasing... and I think there is a good case for 6.1 as the cornerstone configuration... that puts a three discrete speaker front array and a three speaker rear array plus a specialized subwoofer to handle the non-directional low bass. That would make the six discrete channels open for directional bass and up. Now, if receiver/amp manufacturers could build in reasonable bass management...

...We can have horn tweeters free us from dome tweeter surface requirements.

...We can have full-range center speakers that come closer to the tone & timbre of the mains are an important goal... and, once again, a horn based approach for better dialogue is a natural winner.

...and HT will become the preferred place to watch sports, concerts, and movies galore.

I think JMON, we are on the verge of something great, something worth dragging your K-horns out of mothballs for. All we need is an informed consumer demand!!! cwm1.gif HornEd

JMON, just a note to tell you I have just completed the template for a converting a KLF 30 to a horizontal center speaker. I removed the speakers and used a "Deadhead" rubber mallet (from Home Depot) to tap the motor board out intact! So, if my experiment fails, I can put it back in its original form. My son will build the MDF replacement in his Texas home workshop. I've got a KLF C-7, but that was not originally built for Legends... and I am tired of waiting for a RC-7 to show up in a demo room within driving distance of San Francisco.

In the meantime, I am glad the lurkers and I have a little white rabbit with a sense of humor to keep us on this side of the funny farm cwm3.gif HornEd

Tinkers, explorers, experimenters, iconoclasts, home builders, dreamers, etc. are definitely on the side of the funny farm (fence) they want to be. And I like the company here.

The normal people are on the outside, looking in.

Gil

JMON and Gil, I truly appreciate such comments from folks I have learned to respect. Believe it or not, I try not to take myself too seriously... but breaking barriers is what progress is all about... and they can be broken in the strangest places.

I just wrote an answer to Cruzar under the Home Theater section in the thread, "Front Effects Speakers" that might fit in here.

There is no substitute for the Forum that Klipsch has nourished here... and I trust we can do our part to keep it flying.

If you have a U.S. bill with the large picture format, you have a piece of work that I was called upon to influence. If you have a chip that was made by Texas Instruments, you have a process that I was called upon to influence. If landlord/tenant law in your state is fairer than it used to be, it too may have been influenced by my work. And, of course, my retirement followed a development of a technology that changed four color printing worldwide. And, then, there was the work in my early years in the neuropychiatric field in the Army Medical Corps. Yes, Gil & JMON, what breath I have left will be on this side of the fence... in that precious space between my ears. I have tried to change career fields every decade. While I like the challenge of new disciplines to which I can apply cross-discipline techniques... I am not a very good perpetual crank turner. It is a good thing that self-employment was an option after military service.

Innovation comes from the strangest places... and it is certainly rampant on this board. Thanks for being a part of it. HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-09-2001 at 08:48 AM

• 2 weeks later...