about altec 811 horn

naof74

Thank you, Mr. ALK.

I read your posts before.

I have a question about crossover network.

You recommended to use crossover network at around 750hz with La Scala's or Belle's bass bin and Altec 811B, if I remeber correctly.

Even if I use K-400 in my La Scala, do you think it's still good to use 750hz crossover networks?

I'm interested in it because I don't feel that the connection between bass sound and mid sound is natural, compared with my friend's khorn.

I hope my question is understandabl.

I suggest crossing the LaScala at 700 Hz mainly because its woofer will go that high. That allows an 800 Hz horn to be used for the squawker. The LaScala has the 400 Hz horn of the Khorn and will go down to 400. Your question is SHOULD I move the crossover up using the stock 400 Hz horn. The answer is: I DON'T KNOW! My guess is to leave it at 400 Hz since the reason for moving it up is to accomodate a smaller squawker horn.

Al K.

It sounds that my stupid question irritates you.

I'm sorry about that.

I got interested in a plan of changing squaker horn as I read many people mentioned in this forum.

But changing both crossover network and horn at the same time takes time and money. I thought, if I could change just cross over network first, it wouldn't take time at least. Then, I wanted to know If I can change little by little.

Because of my ignorance and poor english, I might irritate you. I'm sorry again.

naof74,

NO TRUE! If I gave you the impression I was annoyed by your question, it was MY FAULT! If I was annoyed I would not have responed at all!

If you plan to change out the K400 horn for a different one, yes, you may need to raise the crossover freqency. The Altec 511 is one very popular upgrade. It is rated to cross at 500 Hz. I put 811s in my Belles and crossed them at 700. The right frequency for the 811 is supposed to be 800, but 700 is the top limit of the Belle and the 811 goes down there with no troulbe.

Al K.

Thank you, Mr. Al K.

I missunderstood. I'm relieved to hear that...

I got a point about the crossover network.

If I want to replace horn, I need to replace both horn and crossover network at the same time, not one by one because of frequency of horn.

anyway, I should study about speaker before modifying speakers.

Thank you, again.

Yes, you could replace horn and crossover at the same time, but if you do them speerately replace the crossover first. If you replace the horn first, chances are the new horn won't go down to 400 where the "stock" crossover is set. This might even damage the squawker driver since the drive might be working into a bad acoustic load at low frequency. The K55 driver is tough as nails though and might stand it if you keep the volume low,but that's not a good idea. The best way is to change the crossover first. The "stock" squawker horn will do ok with a higher crossover.

Al K.

Parts Express has an inexpensive adaptor that can be used to mount the Klipsch K55 driver on the Altec 501B horn. You'll have to drill two holes however as it is a 3 screw mount while the altec was drilled for only 2. I find it to be a very worthwhile improvement - better dispersion and a more "open" sound. Crossover at 400 works fine.

----------------

On 4/11/2004 4:41:52 PM naof74 wrote:

Thank you, Mr. Al K.

I missunderstood. I'm relieved to hear that...

----------------

Hello naof - Al K's disdain for usining too many words (I personally think it is the result of poor typing skills - or a run in with a priest as an alter boy - you choose) can come off as abrupt. Trust me he will help the extraordinarily ignorant (I am an example of that) with admirable patience.

As to the 811 question - Some folks (me included) think the 811 is a better horn for use with Klipsch heritage stuff (although I can only really agree with this if you mount the 811 on a baffle). There are others like my good friend Sheltie Dave that don't get it - and this is from an ear I trust (although he only heard his freestanding).

Just seems like it is a very personal thing.

Well, back to finding a good horn lens match for my jbl 2425 drivers. I owe Al some measurements from a completed box, but I may have to try a few lens first.

Thank you for your reply, ALK,sounddog and hwatkins.

I see. I can change crossover networks first, and I also could change just horn if I chose 511.

I would like to ask another question.

I learned that 511 is designed crossing at 500hz and 811 is designed crossing at 800hz.

Then, how about tweeter? Should I also consider about the crosover network bitween tweeter and squaker?

best regards,

I would suggest you keep your existing crossovers and drivers, and just replace the K400 with another, better 400Hz horn (see my posts about EV SM120A, but Altec 511B should be nice too! Good thing about the EV horn is that the klipsch drivers don't need any adapter to be screwed on it).

You'll notice an amazing difference in sound (night and day, really!)

If you're still not satisfied, then you can mod your x-overs using Al's recommandations, or even better buy a set of his own ALK type A crossovers.

No need to change the cross-over frequency if you're not in the absolute need of using a SMALLER horn (but why??)...

enjoy 2.gif